Shell T5 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it ok to use this diesel rated oil in my Kohler 22hp 7000 series? I am planning to use this semi/synthetic after the 5 hr break in.

Kohler uses break-in oil and recommends an intitial 5hr oil change. They suggests conventional oil for the next 50hrs before switching if desired to 100% synthetic. T5 is semi-synthetic. Any break-in problems using T5 for the 50hrs? Shell has a $5 rebate on a 5qt jug which Walmart sells for $18.

I don't want to spend $3 per qt when I can get $13 for a jug.

Used full syn on my 7000 series after about 5 hr no problems no consumption issue great running engine. Currently running Amsoil ASE with OEM will be running a UOA at year end and doing yearly changes should be near 50hr on oil.

It's perfectly fine.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525

I don't want to spend $3 per qt when I can get $13 for a jug.

No need for synthetic, Honestly. I'm not "Bee Essen" you either.

Any regular 15W-40 will keep that engine happy for a very long time. A very long time.

Think that is a good choice - maybe when you have a couple seasons on the machine a 15w40 - that is popular with OPE commercial users ... I just stay 5w30 synthetic on things with a pull starter ... (tiny volume in those slingers) ...

I'm usually an SAE 30 guy in OPE, but I use the 10W30 T5 in my Predator log splitter engine (which gets used a bit in cold weather-frozen logs seem to split easier), it's been good so far.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
They suggests conventional oil for the next 50hrs before switching if desired to 100% synthetic.

Why not use Kohler 10w30 for that 50 hours then look for deals on synthetic. If they suggest using a conventional for the first 50 hours then that's what I would do.

This is from the TSC site.
Providing the full protection of an SAE-30 oil at operating temperatures, Kohler 10W-30 Premium Oil is extremely resistant to viscosity shearing and stays in grade through its normal service life. This multi-viscosity oil pumps easily to provide instant lubrication to overhead valve components during start-up.

An excellent "fleet" oil to use in every piece of equipment
Exceeds API service rating SJ
Also exceeds MIL-2104E & MIL-46152E, Mack E/O, K/2 Caterpillar TO-2, Cummins NTC 3000 & Allison C-4
Designed for use in all Kohler Command, Command PRO, CS, Courage, Aegis and Triad/OHC engines

I've been using the Rotella T5 10w30 in the Kohler 25hp V-Twin command on the John Deere for about 5 years now. It has almost 750 hours on it and runs great.

I am going place my Shell HDEO oil order tonite and start using it after draining the 5 hr break-in oil.

Last edited:
Pair that with a Fram 3614 or 3600 filter (if you have the room), and your good to go...

The OEM filter is 2 inches long, the 3614 is 3 and 1/2, and the 3600 just under 5 inches...
The 3614 holds 4 more ounces of oil, the 3600 holds 8...

Look on the bottle, if im not mistaken, its a dual rated syn blend, with SN rating. Plenty safe, and spec'd for gas engines also.

I use and recommend HDEO for all my small engines. HDEO almost always has a lower volatility rate and much more additives to protect the engine compared to a PCMO. I use Delo 10w-30 myself but Rotella HDEO is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back