Sticky oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't geek out on me or overthink this :p but, I got under my Hyundai today after noticing an oil leak. It turns out I hadn't tightened my filter as much as I should have (I'm a fan of not overtightening things if it's not needed, but I guess I lapsed and didn't do the normal full 1/4 turn past 'snug' that I always do).

Decided to take the filter off and replace it with a new one. Of course oil came out and spilled on my arm, but when I went to wash it off down the sink, it was really, really gooey. Like not visibly, but I've washed oil off my hands numerous times, and it usually comes off in a few scrubs. This was like rubbing baby lotion on my skin over and over again. I finally got clean but I thought wow, I wonder what the dudes and gals at bitog think about this. I mean obviously I'm thinking at the same time, this stuff is gotta be lubing really good as it's sticky and getting adhered to the engine real well, so virtually no friction.

.... I'm sitting in the tub with a glass of beer, I've got nothing better to do. So here's where I ask you bitogers.

It was Quaker State GB 10w40. Only 1,000 miles on the oil.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Did you use a different soap than usual this time?
lol.gif

Wash with Gojo, Dawn, and then a hand soap. After really bad stuff: WD40>>Gojo>>Dawn>>Dial etc ...

Simple Green takes it right off. Been using it for years. Good for degreasing your motor too, especially if you can use hot water for rinsing.

OP said, "...the normal full 1/4 turn past 'snug' ...". I see room for confusion.
It's been, "After contact (gasket to engine block/filter adapter) tighten 3/4 to 1 full turn" all my life.

Are Hyundais different?

Originally Posted By: Kira
OP said, "...the normal full 1/4 turn past 'snug' ...". I see room for confusion.
It's been, "After contact (gasket to engine block/filter adapter) tighten 3/4 to 1 full turn" all my life.

Are Hyundais different?

contact is different than snug imo, I feel contact, then I turn it, until it feels snug, and I turn it 1/4 turn more so it's nice and tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back