Car moving to Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is being sent down to Florida from the northeast and will remain there for the duration of its life. I'll use it down there when I fly south for the winters. Up here in New England, its had full synthetic 5W-20 its whole life of 85K, 4 cylinder escape.

Should I change the grade of Oil since it will be in a much warmer climate from now on?

It's not the heat that would worry me, it's the Floridians. I would worry about the paint more, and tires and brakes for the evasive maneuvers you will have to endure. Oh earplugs, [censored] is up with the horns?

Originally Posted By: Oilied
My car is being sent down to Florida from the northeast and will remain there for the duration of its life. I'll use it down there when I fly south for the winters. Up here in New England, its had full synthetic 5W-20 its whole life of 85K, 4 cylinder escape.

Should I change the grade of Oil since it will be in a much warmer climate from now on?

In theory, you could just use 50% 5w-20 and 50% 5w-30 of the same exact oil. Depending on the brand of oil you use, your mixture would either just come out to be a very thick 5w-20 or a very thin 5w-30. It's a happy medium.

Don't change a thing.

Fill your tank to the top when you go back up north. Use a bottle of Stabil in the gas tank. And put your battery on a battery tender.

Florida gets extremely Hot and Humid. July and August usually 90-110 everyday for everything South of Daytona Beach.
Cars last forever down here though. I live 2 miles from the beach. I just traded our 2002 Lincoln we bought new and it was nice and shiny with the production stickers still on the body underneath. It was never in a garage and sat outside it's whole life.
It's amazing how cars look down here. My buddy in Pennsylvania always buys his cars in Texas and Florida and drives to get them for that reason.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Florida gets extremely Hot and Humid. July and August usually 90-110 everyday for everything South of Daytona Beach.
Cars last forever down here though. I live 2 miles from the beach. I just traded our 2002 Lincoln we bought new and it was nice and shiny with the production stickers still on the body underneath. It was never in a garage and sat outside it's whole life.
It's amazing how cars look down here. My buddy in Pennsylvania always buys his cars in Texas and Florida and drives to get them for that reason.

I'm a hair north of Daytona and I'm not a regular but i would have thought the salt water mist would eat up the cars? Good to know.

Your engine at operating temp is the same at 40 degree ambient temp as it is at 90 degree ambient temp, assuming your cooling system is functioning properly. Just keep doing what youre doing.

tires and brakes for the evasive maneuvers you will have to endure. Oh earplugs, [censored] is up with the horns? [/quote]
Consider the age of the drivers there. I have a few family(67 Pontiac GTO convertible total loss) and friends that live or lived near where the OP is going and ALL have had serious accidents. The last accident of a friend had to have reconstructive surgery of her face after a old drunk blew through a stop and nailed her friends car on the passenger side. No more driving in cars and now only trucks or large SUV for her.
Oh, about all the horns, dead hearing aid batteries

Last edited:
Rubber tends to deteriorate more in the high temps and sun. Check your belts, hoses and tires more frequently.

20W-50 and a can of STP oil treatment....................Just kidding, unless your owners manual calls out something else than you are already using for warmer climate, stick with what you are currently using.

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
Your engine at operating temp is the same at 40 degree ambient temp as it is at 90 degree ambient temp, assuming your cooling system is functioning properly. Just keep doing what youre doing.

+1

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nope, Florida doesn't get that hot anyways.

Humid yes, hot no.

You're right. 90-100 degrees isn't that hot.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: 64bawagon

+1
+2

Xw-20 will work just fine if that is what your engine specs.

I have no issues with xw-20 oils in Houston, which is just as hot and humid, if not more so, than Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back