VOLVO - XC90 V8 oil recommendation engine B8444S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi from Australia.

Seeking Oil recommendations for my 2011 Volvo XC90 in the V8 B8444S option.

My Manual calls for 0w-30 grade A5/B5, and recommends the Castrol Professional. I have not been able to source this specific oil in Australia, so looking for a comparable oil that is readily available to me in Sydney.

Below are the oils I have been able to find locally, but uncertain if suitable for my vehicle

Mobile 1 0w-30 advanced fuel economy
Mobile 1 0w-40
Mobile 5w-30
Nulon 5w-30 Fuel efficient ACEA A5/B5
Penrite 0-30
Penrite 5w-30

I am open to other suggestions not mentioned above, these are simply oils that I found readily available in my area.

Thanks in advance.

thank you for the fast response.

Mobil 1 does not list as being A5/B5 grade, is this critical in my selection? also, I was a little concerned going to 0w40, what would be the advantage or disadvantages of going heavier oil grade.

Originally Posted By: mrsquigle
thank you for the fast response.

Mobil 1 does not list as being A5/B5 grade, is this critical in my selection? also, I was a little concerned going to 0w40, what would be the advantage or disadvantages of going heavier oil grade.

It's rather hot in Australia. Cold cranking isn't really a concern, but high oil temps are very possible. A thicker oil gives more of a buffer compared to a 30 at a given temp. If you just putter around the 30 will be fine, but if you put that V8 to work I'd run a 40 in your climate.

I believe the A5/B5 is a resource conserving spec like ilsac is here in the States. If that's the case then I wouldn't worry about it. Someone more familiar with euro specs will need to chime in

EDIT

I was right
Quote:

The A/B class's A5/B5 oils have lower HTHS viscosities, which means that they provide better fuel economy but they may not provide adequate protection in engines that are not designed for them. ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 on the other hand require oils with higher HTHS viscosities that may not provide as good fuel economy as an A5/B5 oil but may offer better engine protection in certain engine designs.

Last edited:
Interesting thank you Silverfusion.. It seems like a protection vs fuel economy grading. I would much prefer to sacrifice fuel economy and have a happy engine

- Would using an A3/B3 graded oil harm my engine?
- Would a 0w30 A3/B4 be thicker oil than 0w30 A5/B5, and therefor a step in between a 0w40 oil.

In my search I also found a Nulon 5w-30 European in the A5/B5. It was a cheaper oil, which then makes me skeptical of its performance when comparing to some of the well known more expensive brands. I prefer to pay a little more if it has a proven reputation, given the recommended oil by Volvo seems to be at the top end of synthetic oils.

Anyhow.. please keep the suggestions coming. It would also be great to hear from fellow XC90 V8 owners with their experience.

I'd look for something that carried Ford WSS-M2C913D specification if you're struggling to find an A5/B5 0w30 oil.

However, if it was my eneigine I would be running a *w30 or *w40 A3/B4 oil for maximum protection.

Ok thanks, would I be safe running a A3/B4 oil such as 0w40 Mobil 1. This oil seems very popular but cannot find any recommendations for the V8 Volvo specifically.

The least expensive 0W30 that meets the A5/B5 spec. But I wouldn't hesitate to run M1 0W40 despite not having the A5/B5 spec.

Ok thanks, would I be safe running a A3/B4 oil such as 0w40 Mobil 1. This oil seems very popular but cannot find any recommendations for the V8 Volvo specifically.

That oil would be a great choice. The Volvo V-8 is a good engine, but like all Volvos, sensitive to oil quality vs. change interval. The PCV system (flame trap in Volvo vernacular) will become plugged with sludge if an oil is run too long, and the resulting pressure in the crankcase will cause oil leaks, or worse, seal failure.

So, any long drain oil, or any decent oil changed more frequently, is a good choice.

For your climate, any of those viscosities should do, because your engine is naturally aspirated, and doesn't have the oil temp rise of a turbo. I think it uses oil jets for piston cooling, but heat on the pistons is more a result of load on the engine than outside site temperature.

If the rest ofhe Aussies are running a XXw40, then you might consider that. But on this engine, a good XXw30 should be fine.

It's a quality, and drain interval, not viscosity, question.

Thanks Astro14, this is very helpful information, particularly advice regarding PCV system and drain interval.

I just found my local supplier carries A5 Castrol 0w30 Edge professional, available in 20 litre drums (part number 3374588). It specs on the drum.. API SL, ILSAC GF-2 ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1

Would this be quality suitable for my engine?

Thanks Astro14, this is very helpful information, particularly advice regarding PCV system and drain interval.

I just found my local supplier carries A5 Castrol 0w30 Edge professional, available in 20 litre drums (part number 3374588). It specs on the drum.. API SL, ILSAC GF-2 ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1

Would this be quality suitable for my engine?

That would be an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I would find something that meets API SN

Why?

Here is the North American owners manual specification for oil.

The Castrol fits that...

I don't think Castrol do a bad oil and I don't think there's an engine oil that Castrol make that would cause any issues in your car.

A5/B5 is a thin fuel economy oil. I personally would go for something A3/B4 in a 30 weight for a little more protection but the A5/B5 will still ensure the engine outlasts the car!

Thanks Bailes

Castrol SL seems to be volvo recommended, however the mobil1 advanced fuel economy 0-30 is a SN and looks to be slightly higher viscosity. Both A5/B5

Originally Posted By: Astro14

The Volvo V-8 is a good engine, but like all Volvos, sensitive to oil quality vs. change interval.

Just for the record, this engine is developed by Yamaha, built/made in Japan.

Anyway,

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992

A5/B5 is a thin fuel economy oil. I personally would go for something A3/B4 in a 30 weight for a little more protection but the A5/B5 will still ensure the engine outlasts the car!

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I would not run a fuel economy oil in any regular temps above 90*F. All my previous Volvo's and Yamaha's (except the RD400) got HDEO and the cars ran to over 200,000 miles easily. The bikes died of other causes, but the motors were still very happy ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back