oil test kits....which one to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
I notice on Amazon (esp. w/ Prime) that prices skip around. I saw a WIX oil test kit for $12-14?? went back to order several months later and it was in the $20's. Whats the good price / place to get a test kit?? Thoughts?? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Blackstone sends free test kits.

The kit is free but you have to pay when you send it in.

The other kit are not free but you don't have to pay again when you send it in.

You have to pay, the timing is different with different company.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Horizon/Polaris from Amsoil. $19.95 and includes TBN or TAN depending on the oil type.

This. You can get the Amsoil kit WITH a Prepaid UPS label for less than a Blackstone kit that isnt as comprehensive.

I just yesterday sent in a Blackstone sample.

Kit = $0
Analysis = $28
USPS first class ship = $3.00 (roughly)

So $31 all in.

I might try the Polaris one next time since it is cheaper.

Ordered 4 of the Wix 24077 kits from RockAuto, total was $40. So each analysis will be $10 each with TBN, no shipping as I can drop off at ALS direct.

It has been many years since I used the Amsoil test kits, but comparing Amsoil to Blackstone- The Blackstone provides "universal" averages- i.e. average data on other customers engines. Amsoil (Oil Analyzers ?) did not. The Blackstone was $3-5 more expensive, but I thought it had more data. Both are good.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
It has been many years since I used the Amsoil test kits, but comparing Amsoil to Blackstone- The Blackstone provides "universal" averages- i.e. average data on other customers engines. Amsoil (Oil Analyzers ?) did not. The Blackstone was $3-5 more expensive, but I thought it had more data. Both are good.

To the UA: Meh. You can tell if something is really wrongon a sample without them. The under-10 or 20 ppm of most metals is noise, for all intents and purposes, and having data that says "This engine averages 6 ppm but this other one averages 7ppm iron" is not really worth anything. You can build your own UA to your engine by getting it sampled every time and trending. Plus, its specific to your engine in your usage scenario.

[censored] calculates fuel dilution via open cup flashpoint. And the calculation is not the same across all samples. Its based on the flashpoint in the "Should be" Column. Some samples are >385F, others are >365F. Ive also seen >355F in the past. I haven't figured out yet what its based off of.
If your actual Flashpoint matches the Flash in the 'Should be' column, it will get labeled "Trace" fuel.
Every 20F below that is 1% fuel.
For example say your 'Should be' is >385F and the sample tests 385F, you will get told a trace of fuel was found.
If your sample tests 365F, you will get told 1% of fuel was found.
But lets say that instead of >385F as a should be, it was labeled >355F. The sample will be "free" of fuel. The same sample.
I feel strongly that [censored] fuel dilution is a guideline, at best, and you should probably ignore the fuel dilution % they put on and calculate based on a temperature of 380-400F depending on what your oil VOAs at. I think it loses accuracy very quickly beyond 2-3% also.(as if there was any to begin with...)

This sample is a great example of this
Royal Purple, a synth oil comes back with a flash of 375F and "No fuel" but low viscosity. Sorry, no. There is Around 2% of fuel in there, but only my guess. Fuel by GC would tell for sure. Comments are talking about RP shearing as if it was just because its RP. It had a little help.

Polaris calculates fuel by GC, aka they are looking for the chemical traces of fuel in the oil and not guess-timating.
Plus you get TBN or TAN by default, along with Oxidation and Nitration.

Last edited:
I like Blackstone, easier to read and it seems like a real person is analyzing it.

The other companies sound robotic and don't write up much.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken

Blackstone raised their prices not long ago. Their universal averages as well as their comments are useless. Their normal test does not include TBN.

The NAPA test kit is just under $16 with TBN. The Amsoil or OAI is Polaris Labs. Polaris includes oxidation and nitration which I think is good to know, oxidation tell you about the condition of the base oil while TBN tells you about the additive package.

Polaris sells ten packs which brings the price down. Ten packs end up being around $20 each last I looked.

I have been using NAPA recently and no issues. The turnaround is good, mail the round container in box or envelope.

Great info. Does the Napa oil analysis kit measure fuel dilution accurately? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Blackstone sends free test kits.

The kit is free but you have to pay when you send it in.

The other kit are not free but you don't have to pay again when you send it in.

You have to pay, the timing is different with different company.

I think they started paying for postage now.

Blackstone seems to be the gold standard for testing, commentary, etc.

Ive used quite a few. Wear check, chevron, Napa, blackstone.

The easiest for me to get on a whim is Napa. They have a lot of options.

I've only used Wix/Napa. I got a few on Amazon back when they were $12-14ish. I used those up and recently bought a couple on ebay for $16. Prices seem to have gone up on Amazon. USPS shipping is usually $2.77, so it ends up under $20 with TBN.

Waste of time and money, unless you own some exotic car or engine and just testing your daily driver, 48 yrs of car ownership and not one oil related problem, just change your oil on a regular basis and you'll sleep well
lol.gif

well, I thought this might tell me that I have coolant in the system, and be thinking about head gaskets down the line. If anticipate taking the head off, then might think about a different cam to install...1992 Volvo 2.4. No so concerned about oil quality and 15k oil changes. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I like Blackstone, easier to read and it seems like a real person is analyzing it.

The other companies sound robotic and don't write up much.
Except (unless something has changed at Blackstone) the other companies (like Polaris) are ISO certified and carry other certs which are clearly posted their websites whereas Blackstone's are not, which may mean they are not certified.

Blackstone does not accurately count fuel dilution or soot and they do not include TBN or TAN without extra cost. So $19.50 for Polaris via Amsoil
with full testing or $38 for a similar test at Blackstone or in the simplest terms--2x the cost for lesser service (fuel dilution and soot calculation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back