Mercedes X Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hpb
Does it "cheapen" the brand a little?

This brand has already been cheapened by a number of models they've put their name on previously.

Pickup trucks are a huge market, so it's not surprising everyone wants a piece of it.

It looks like they stuck a cheap tablet and two bluetooth speakers to the middle of the dash!
37.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It looks like they stuck a cheap tablet and two bluetooth speakers to the middle of the dash!
37.gif

Sadly, that's the MB style these days.

If you expect the quality and reliability of a Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Subaru or Hyundai when you buy Mercedes you're going to be disappointed. What you get now with a Mercedes is a tarnished badge.

OH MY EYES!!! Why didn't you warn me of what awaited at the end of that click.

A Nissan tarted up with a Benz logo, does it light up too?!? That would be ridiculous!

Oh no, wait...

I rented some sort of tiny MB minivan when I visited Italy...it was nothing special in the slightest, and this was over 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you expect the quality and reliability of a Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Subaru or Hyundai when you buy Mercedes you're going to be disappointed. What you get now with a Mercedes is a tarnished badge.

LOL, now you go out and rent the E class and compare that to ANYTHING Japanese. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying: you have income that you have (as mine) and you simply do not wanna mess with higher (read more expensive) maintenance.
People with money SEE the DIFFERENCE.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

LOL, now you go out and rent the E class and compare that to ANYTHING Japanese. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying: you have income that you have (as mine) and you simply do not wanna mess with higher (read more expensive) maintenance.

Not sure what you're talking about as I drive an E class. It's fun to drive, there's lots of options and even some of the stuff that's standard is pretty nice. It's not made of of unicorn kisses, still made out of metal, plastics and glass so reliability isn't at the top of the list when they built it. Kinda annoying that pulleys and motor mounts go at relatively low mileage but all auto makers have their own set of quirks. Parts are probably a little bit more expensive, but it's not like you're buying parts every day, probably a few hundred more on an annual basis as long as it's not something like an engine or transmission. Then it's real expensive.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Not sure what you're talking about as I drive an E class. It's fun to drive, there's lots of options and even some of the stuff that's standard is pretty nice. It's not made of of unicorn kisses, still made out of metal, plastics and glass so reliability isn't at the top of the list when they built it. Kinda annoying that pulleys and motor mounts go at relatively low mileage but all auto makers have their own set of quirks. Parts are probably a little bit more expensive, but it's not like you're buying parts every day, probably a few hundred more on an annual basis as long as it's not something like an engine or transmission. Then it's real expensive.

Gotta agree.

I still miss my E39 M5, I should never have parted with it. My annoyances were expense of replacement brakes and that you couldn't do U-joints, you needed a close to 3K driveshaft assembly, which is basically why I sold the car. In hindsight, I should have kept it, put it in the garage, skipped the Charger and bought the Jeep. Of course that wasn't my thought process at the time.

That car checked pretty much everything in the "right" boxes. It was a hoot to drive, the interior quality was phenomenal and all the "touch me" surfaces were extremely well thought out. Despite some quirks, BMW, and I assume Mercedes, really know how to build a car that feels "right". That fact I'm still lamenting about the bloody thing years and two vehicles later speaks volumes. It's the only car I regret getting rid of and I'll probably buy another one because of that.

Depends on the age. Newer cars you're stuck with the dealer, but when they're older, either there's aftermarket parts or the junkyard. MB is kinda like that too, they didn't have sway bar bushings, you had to buy the whole bar if you just need the bushings. But now there's 3rd party that makes the bushings. Plus when you buy OEM parts online, they're about 30% cheaper than the dealer. What's really annoying is that some MB dealers mark up over list price. Oh yeah one thing about it is the door slam, it's a loud solid sounding, probably specifically engineered to sound that way. Not like previous cars where you hear things rattle inside. I almost got a BMW but MB is slightly better when it comes to reliability and there were just a lot more E class cars for sale around here than 5 series.

LOL, now you go out and rent the E class and compare that to ANYTHING Japanese.

I'm definitely not a fan of this "new" X-Klasse. I was expecting to see a pickup truck based off the Gelandewagen, not a Nissan. IMHO, this is a half-@$$ed effort on their behalf to bring something "new" to the pickup truck market that isn't "new". Frankly, if I was in the market for a pickup, I would look no further than a Silverado/Sierra, but I also realize that is not what they had in mind for competition in Europe, where those trucks are not sold.

Mercedes used to built cars like vaults, and personally, I haven't been a fan of their products from the 90's onward - save for the Gelandewagen or course. Front wheel drive and Mercedes-Benz do not belong in the same sentence IMHO. My grandfather was a big MB guy and I still have fond memories of his first W115. That being said, I still cannot compare them to Japanese cars. Some of the basics remain, such as that nice thud when you shut the doors and of course driving characteristics like how stable they feel at high speeds and their grabby brakes.

I think many of their higher end cars are still either RWD or AWD. E class and S class are still RWD or AWD. They do a pretty good job of keeping the car low even with AWD. In the northeast, most E class cars I see are usually 4matic. QC was bad when they were part of Chrysler but 2008+ things seem to have gotten better. From the W211 to the W212, things seem to have shifted from mechanical problems to more cosmetic problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back