What's your Amsoil OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a GREAT THREAD!!!!!!
eek.gif
laugh.gif

I would run whatever the warranty recommended for service. After that do as you please.

With big box brand synthetics running $12 /5quart after rebate I wonder why anyone is trying to stretch their magic oil.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I run all of my vehicles for 5k oci to make it easy to remember when to change. I have a bunch of amsoil oe that I will also run 5k.

This is a job for Formula Shell conventional often on sale for $10.00 for 5 quarts at Home Depot.

I have only used Amsoil in one of my vehicles. I use the SS 5W-30 in my Suburban. I run it until the OLM says to change it, then change it when next convenient. If I am out of state on vacation, I wait until I get home. I am currently closing in on 8k miles with my current oil change and I have not gotten a message to change it yet. Most of the miles are towing a nearly 8k lb travel trailer under about any possible condition other than winter weather (we did pass some large snow banks in the Rockies in June however).

Am I getting my monies worth? No idea.

Last edited:
On the Kia, it's by the owners manual since it's still under warranty. 7k miles on SS 5w-30

On the Ram I have a bypass so it's once a year, typically 10k to 11k miles. SS 10w-30

The B2300 gets a yearly change of 5W-20SS, generally in July

Will stretch until fall this years since it I spent more time the last year fixing it than driving it.

Depends upon what you paid for the oil as well as what your normal OCI is.
I'll run the SSO in our newer Accord to 15% MM or so, which will be around 8K in November.
OTOH, I paid around $2.70/qt for this oil bought from a family moving to either Montana or SD that I found on a CL post.
When I was younger and hungrier, I considered various promotional opportunities that would have involved a super long commute. I shied away from that and am glad that I did. However, if I were looking at 150+ miles each workday, I would have been all over Amsoil SSO.
Cost would not have been determinate, rather if I were wracking up serious miles extended drains would have been desirable from a standpoint of less time spent under a car or waiting for a third party to do the job.
With the calcium content that SSO boasts, TBN wouldn't be a problem on long drains.
SSO does have a strong add pack so you do get what you pay for in these oils. What's the basestock blend in these oils?
Your guess is as good as mine but based upon what Amsoil has provided WRT physical characteristics, it ain't all PAO.

Both in the rear view, but:

In the '04 Grand Cherokee 4.0, worked up to 10k when I first switched.
In the ex's '04 Wrangler 2.4, went as high as 12k and the internals were spotless when the new head gasket was installed at 160k.

Both of these were on 5w30 SS, 80% highway, and the UOAs said we could have gone further.

For the F150 I've only gone to the OLM @ 9500 miles without a UOA. Right now I'm in the middle of a thick vs thin test and have set 9100 miles as the testing interval. Once the test is complete I'll be extending, and it will likely be at least 15k if the UOAs support that distance.

Originally Posted By: NStuart
I'm in. And just for s and g....I'm still trying to find how long I can run Schaeffer lol

Schaeffer showed some really good numbers when I did a recent UOA and as part of the test mentioned above I'll be comparing vs Amsoil.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Zero miles. Don't use Amsoil.

+1
Tried it once, was not impressed enough to buy it again when the UOA was almost identical to the one I had of M1 prior. Have considered trying some of their Severe Gear oils in my differentials, though, those seem pretty top notch and might be worth the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back