Sludge removers...... worth the effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.. I've recently obtained a 1989 Dodge Dakota (V6).. 108000 miles. So it obviously has been sitting around a LOT.
I did all the usual.. changed plugs.. wires..etc. Now I changed the oil with Mobil 1 and was wondering, for the next change should I use
a sludge removal additive like EPR engine performance restoration, or something similar to "clean" out the engine? Its running ok for now, so
leave it be or try to "improve" things. If it can't hurt I'll try it... if it could make trouble... not worth it.
by all means suggest a product that might improve engine interior if there IS such a thing.

thanks...

You want to remove sludge if there is any slowly. Big gobs of sludge getting removed will plug passages and your filter.

I would say run a high detergent oil for a while and call it good.

Best thing you can do is a few short oci with lots of highway miles. Hot oil cleans better.

You can use a flush if you want to, but it runs the risk of a big chunk plugging something and creating oil starvation. Even with just a short oci you may get a few chunks out the first change or two. It just depends

Get a quart of Marvel Mystery oil. Put 3/4 of the bottle in oil, and 1/4 of the bottle in gas and top off the gas tank. MMO will clean up the fuel system to improve performance, and will clean everything that the oil touches inside the engine.

Case on point - 2006 Pontiac Vibe AWD had severe oil consumption (1qt per 100 miles) and higher fuel consumption. After I used MMO in fuel and oil the car "woke up" a little. Oil consumption reduced from 1qt/100mi to 1qt/4000 miles. Fuel consumption went from 23mpg average to 27-28mpg average. MMO works. Good luck!!!

That car was a severe sludger btw. Pic below. But after MMO no "chunks" ever blocked the oil flow or anything. Performance improved drastically though.

Verify that it's sludged first then run short intervals of a good cleaning conventional oil. No need to spend extra money for synthetic at this point. Chevron Supreme or Pennzoil yellow bottle will do the trick. Get it out on the highway and run it.

35.gif

I always use HDEO for cleanup. Drain tar couple of oci and it's done. And the peace of mind with extra film thickness to keep the dislodged crud from causing issues.
That's just me.

Originally Posted By: kafka45
Ok.. I've recently obtained a 1989 Dodge Dakota (V6).. 108000 miles. So it obviously has been sitting around a LOT.
I did all the usual.. changed plugs.. wires..etc. Now I changed the oil with Mobil 1 and was wondering, for the next change should I use
a sludge removal additive like EPR engine performance restoration, or something similar to "clean" out the engine? Its running ok for now, so
leave it be or try to "improve" things. If it can't hurt I'll try it... if it could make trouble... not worth it.
by all means suggest a product that might improve engine interior if there IS such a thing.

thanks...

Leave
It
ALONE

Get some seal conditioners in there. These are very old seals. Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver or STP High Mileage. Then use a High Mileage oil next time, like Valvoline MaxLife 5w30

If it ain't broke. Sounds like you've already made a good choice. I wouldn't use a additive, just regular OCIs with a good oil.

I vote leave it alone.
A little sludge never hurt nothing.
A clogged filter or pickup will hurt something.

Just run short OCI's with a higher detergent oil like others suggested. IF there is any sludge that will clean it out slowly and safely.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Get a quart of Marvel Mystery oil. Put 3/4 of the bottle in oil, and 1/4 of the bottle in gas and top off the gas tank. MMO will clean up the fuel system to improve performance, and will clean everything that the oil touches inside the engine.

This...

Or, you could get this: https://www.amazon.com/Mystery-50735-Classic-Ultimate-Treatment/dp/B072Q5Y4LP/

Pour the 16 oz. classic MMO into your oil, and pour the 12 oz. fuel treatment into your gas tank. (Also, I'd recommend a Wix filter).

Originally Posted By: kafka45
Ok.. I've recently obtained a 1989 Dodge Dakota (V6)..

No offense, but its a 1989 Dodge Dakota...

Change with cheep oil, be happy.

Just start doing short oil changes; about 1500-1700 miles a piece. You'd be surprised by how much that cleans; especially with a high mileage oil like Maxlife. If the oil gets dark fast, you're on target.

Use any HEDO (gas/diesel) oils. Inexpensive and will clean the best bar none, heck you can make it your regular oil if you wish as you just pick one (which is easy) with the gasoline SN rating.

Auto-Rx.

Use an inexpensive synthetic oil at 3k to 5k OCI and that should reverse the buildup of sludge slowly.

Some sludge does not really hurt anything, you just want it to trend less sludge, not more. Avoid any flush.

Anyone have before and after sludge cleaning pictures? I ask because I had a sludge+toasty goodness engine once. A rebuild with chemical wash was the ONLY thing that made a difference (brand new metal look). Didn't matter what oil or OCI or snake oil treatment I put in it. It looked the same when I took it apart.

In the days of smart phones and high speed internet, why have I not seen some good documented proof with before and after pictures?

With that being said, if the oil consumption isn't silly and it runs ok, I'd leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back