Looking for next DD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time for a different car. Current Ion Redline is almost at 130K, and I want something different.

Wants
2005 or newer
Boost, preferably turbo, or V8
Upper 20's MPG on pump, low or mid 20's on E-85
300 ft/lbs. tq., and preferably not alot of mods to get there
not picky on transmission
E-85 or flex fuel capable, or easily moddable to E85/flex fuel capable
decent trunk space for fishing and travel stuff
Vehicles I am looking at
2005-2006 MB C320 or E320 CDI
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Chevy HHR SS
Chevy Cobalt SS/TC Sedan
2007-up Saab 9-3
BMW n54
VW TSI 2.0T

Also considering Chevy Cruze for MPG beater
If there are other vehicles that you think I should be looking at, please let me know. Feel free to add suggestions.
Mazdaspeed 3/CX7 is sketchy because of the HPFP issues
Subaru in 2.0 or 2.5 is going to be pushing $10K for something decent, and comes up short in the power range
NSRT-4 has no cruise, and factory 19's on the Caliber are a no-go. PT GT is just no, umless perfect, and ridiculously cheap.

Of the vehicles on your list, the MBs and the Saab are likely going to be the best DDs.

The N54 is a great engine to drive, but with this kind of budget, expect some pain.

Charger Hemi? Police versions are likely cheap. Might even be able to swing a Taurus-based Police Interceptor with the right engine.

Why the emphasis on torque numbers without regard to vehicle weight? 300 lb-ft in something like a Grand Cherokee or HHR is one thing; 300 lb-ft out of a Golf 2.0T would be COMPLETELY different.

Crown Vic? Don't tell CKN if you'll consider one
crackmeup2.gif

Never count out the C5 1997-2004 Corvettes, which are tough to beat for the money!!!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Of the vehicles on your list, the MBs and the Saab are likely going to be the best DDs.

The Saab 2.0 would have to be a 6-speed, as I don't think the auto would take 300 ft. lbs for long. The 2.8T would work either way, but would reduce MPG quite a bit, as well as underhood heat related failures, and the coils like to get changed with the oil it seems.

Quote:

The N54 is a great engine to drive, but with this kind of budget, expect some pain.

Yes, it would have to be like the PTGT listed, perfect, with 14 lbs of receipts, etc.

Quote:

Charger Hemi? Police versions are likely cheap. Might even be able to swing a Taurus-based Police Interceptor with the right engine.

I posted about the Charger and was told to stay away. I would love a Taurus based, or even the Caprice, but not alot used aside from CVPIs on the market locally.

Quote:

Why the emphasis on torque numbers without regard to vehicle weight? 300 lb-ft in something like a Grand Cherokee or HHR is one thing; 300 lb-ft out of a Golf 2.0T would be COMPLETELY different.

Most of the gassers are within a few hundred pounds of each other, so the tq. figure applies well. The diesels will be well over after a tune, so not really something to worry about.

Google shows
HHR SS = 3280 lbs.
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg = 3219-3266
2010 Golf GTI 2 dr. = 3034, but I don't see myself going that small, practically speaking.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Never count out the C5 1997-2004 Corvettes, which are tough to beat for the money!!!

$12K will get me a fixer upper, or a 120K mile example. Don't think I want another 2 door. Especially a GM 2 door, especially where I live and work.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Crown Vic? Don't tell CKN if you'll consider one
crackmeup2.gif

Too late for me to get a CVPI.

Last edited:
If you want a good driver and are unconcerned about impressing anyone, a Gen 7 Accord would be my pick.
Good ride and handling with minimal understeer. The four is pretty quick while the V-6 will humble many Euro cars generally regarded as fast.
Also a very trouble free and reliable car, which can't be said of any of the Euros you'll find for $9K.
The older Accords were very much closet sports sedans and they do have a low profile when you burn past a speed trap at well over the posted limit.
Our Gen 8 '12 drives nowhere near as well as my mother's Gen 7 '03.
JMHO

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What about a dodge avenger with the 3.6 V6?

Starts at $8,000 for the 3.6 under 100,000 miles, and looks to need about $1-2K to get near 300 ft. lbs.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you want a good driver and are unconcerned about impressing anyone, a Gen 7 Accord would be my pick.
Good ride and handling with minimal understeer. The four is pretty quick while the V-6 will humble many Euro cars generally regarded as fast.
Also a very trouble free and reliable car, which can't be said of any of the Euros you'll find for $9K.
The older Accords were very much closet sports sedans and they do have a low profile when you burn past a speed trap at well over the posted limit.
Our Gen 8 '12 drives nowhere near as well as my mother's Gen 7 '03.
JMHO

The J30As are still close to $8,000, plus 65 ft lbs. short. I looked at them when I bought my current car.

If you can find an SRT Charger, that'd be a great choice, though you might not be able to get into one with the newer interior at your price point.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you can find an SRT Charger, that'd be a great choice, though you might not be able to get into one with the newer interior at your price point.

$13,000 and 140K miles locally. $9K will get me a first gen 5.7 Charger or 300.

Not sure what engine was in the C 320. If it was the M272, avoid it, those had balance shaft problems til 2007. The M272 were in 3.0 and 3.5L engines. The older 3.2L were fine.

Too bad the is350 holds its value better than the 250, otherwise a very fun car, with over 300 up. Mine puts a smile on my face when I take it in 90-130 degree turns, pulling out of anything wider I wish for the 3.5. And all it needs is tires and oil.

Originally Posted By: Shaman
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Most of the gassers are within a few hundred pounds of each other, so the tq. figure applies well. The diesels will be well over after a tune, so not really something to worry about.

Google shows
HHR SS = 3280 lbs.
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg = 3219-3266
2010 Golf GTI 2 dr. = 3034, but I don't see myself going that small, practically speaking.

Looks like I was off on the HHR. I stand corrected.

Originally Posted By: Shaman
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

$13,000 and 140K miles locally. $9K will get me a first gen 5.7 Charger or 300.

Nothing wrong with the 5.7L, however the non-SRT cars tend to eat front-end parts. I believe the solution is to order the SRT parts when replacing them. My wife loved her '06 and the NAG-1 transmission is excellent.

Can I suggest something a bit un-orthodox?
-Search your local craigslist for your wishlist vehicles in good condition
-find the Sport dealers from the repeating phone #'s(the one who always has 85% of the inventory in good condition sometimes higher mileage sport cars)
-enchant them; those are guys knowing their cars; they will usually have shoes with thin soles.... .drivers shoes and know how to handle a stick-shift/standard/manual

(I saw some really cream puffs dodge magnums and cryslers GT locally; Pearl paint as cherry on top)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back