LV ATF as lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use eds red as a bore cleaner and straight Mercon LV sparingly as lube. Seems to work really well in all my guns. I've also been told you can mix 50/50 with kerosene but I never saw the need for that.

Anyone else mix up eds red or some other recipe for cleaner/lubricant?

For those not in the know Ed's red is:

1 part kerosene
1 part acetone
1 part mineral spirits
1 part ATF

It works a treat and you can mix up a gallon for $20 or so

Last edited:
I like Royco 308CA, it's available for $38 a gallon from:

http://www.skygeek.com/anderol-308-1gl-royco-308ca-preservative-oil-gal.html

As the site says:
Quote:
ROYCO 308CA is a highly refined mineral oil based lubricating oil blended with modern additives for rust and corrosion inhibition and improved water displacing characteristics. It was developed for the lubrication and protection against corrosion of small arms and automatic weapons however, it may be used as a general-purpose lubricant in all applications where water displacement, water resistance, corrosion protection and/or low temperature performance is required.

Most of the home brews miss out on creepiness (to lubricate and protect parts that aren't disassembled), and aren't great for protecting against rust. Although it isn't specced as a cleaner, it does a decent job of removing carbon if you let it set. Plus, 308CA doesn't smell completely vile either.

BSW

Couple of thread-[censored] ignorant answers, then a serious response. 2:1 Nonsense to contribution ratio. Highly average for BITOG!

Quote:

1 part kerosene
1 part acetone
1 part mineral spirits
1 part ATF

I have done this in the past, but there is just better stuff available cheap enough that unless you need to restore the deuce and a 1/2 you got from the national guard charity auction, it doesn't pay. I find Mil Pro 7, LPS, etc. work awesome, better, and save time. I know Ed's Red was good for its time, but there are cheap good things better now. The thing I believe messes it up is the wax content in the kero and mineral spirits. Totally 19th century vs. modern alternatives. I use 3 of those 4 all the time. And they work great. But what i think happens with Ed's Red is the more volatile elements float off and the wax stays in the barrel, action, or other places. there's a lot of ugly waxes in the kerosene and mineral spirits.

But I like to experiment, so I don't disregard this as a thought exercise. I have also mixed HB recipes for SeaFoam (70% white gas, then some acetone, mineral oil, etc. - google it). It did not work as well at all. I now by Chemtool B-12 which works better than SeaFoam at 1/2 the price.

A homebrew that did come out gangbusters for me was for Greenland Wax. I got sick of paying too much for wax for my oil cloth garments - a few Barbour Jackets, some Filson tincloth chaps (those save my [censored] when it started snowing in Montana in September on a cross-country vintage motorcycle ride), etc. I ride bikes and horses so this tuff gets used. I googled a home reipe and it was like candle wax, bees wax, an a little mineral oil. (Google it). I made some up for like $5 10 years ago and I'm still using that batch, vs. $50 of Barbour wax of Filson wax. Google "Greenland wax."

I love experimenting with stuff; commercial products are so often just marketing simple combos of everyday chemicals. Some times they hit it right (MMO did), others it is nonsense.

Tomorrow I am laying up my SUV for a lot of fun play. I am going to:

a) flush the system with 1/2 oil and 1/2 kerosene
b) piston soak it with 1/2 atf and acetone, then again with mmo/acetone
c) drill out my AT housing to retro-fit a dip stick, it's a more modern one without one but I figured out how to retrofit it and transtec sent me a gasket to hlep (Transtec are good products/people when you have a transmission issue, fyi). Fit a 2n AT filter inline while down there and the pan dropped.
d) new headlight, windshield

Big refresh while i can work from home and play in the meantime.

Remember, "Ed's Red" was invented decades ago, (no one really knows for sure when). Long before firearm manufacturers started putting plastic in everything from trigger groups to stock finishes to shotgun vented ribs. Not to mention several modern semi auto pistol magazines, grips, and frames. You do not want Acetone around ANYTHING plastic. It will dissolve it. That stuff is pretty outdated based on what modern gun makers have chosen for materials these days. I'm not seeing ANY advantage to using it on modern weapons. Any more than you would use non detergent oil in a modern vehicle.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm not seeing ANY advantage to using it on modern weapons. Any more than you would use non detergent oil in a modern vehicle.

That more succinctly is what I was trying to say above. Better alternatives, no more money.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
But what i think happens with Ed's Red is the more volatile elements float off and the wax stays in the barrel, action, or other places. there's a lot of ugly waxes in the kerosene and mineral spirits.

Aint that what you want when storing your "steel" ??? Something that protects barve metal and yet is EASY enough to wipe off...

Sounds similar to Ballistol...

Originally Posted By: billt460
Remember, "Ed's Red" was invented decades ago, (no one really knows for sure when). Long before firearm manufacturers started putting plastic in everything from trigger groups to stock finishes to shotgun vented ribs. Not to mention several modern semi auto pistol magazines, grips, and frames. You do not want Acetone around ANYTHING plastic. It will dissolve it. That stuff is pretty outdated based on what modern gun makers have chosen for materials these days. I'm not seeing ANY advantage to using it on modern weapons. Any more than you would use non detergent oil in a modern vehicle.

It depends on the plastic. My glock isn't bothered by acetone, bushmaster ar-15 doesn't care, beretta neos, etc. Nail polish remover with acetone is sold in plastic bottles now...

That said I'll start shopping around for a nice clp

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
It depends on the plastic. My glock isn't bothered by acetone, bushmaster ar-15 doesn't care, beretta neos, etc. Nail polish remover with acetone is sold in plastic bottles now...That said I'll start shopping around for a nice clp

While I agree with everything you've said, the problem is you're not going to know until you apply it. Then, if it responds negatively, it will already be too late. Too much risk coupled with not enough reward to mess with. One thing there is no shortage of in today's market are gun cleaners and lubricants.

Sounds pretty thin for a true lube. I wouldn't have any issue using an ATF like Amsoil or M1 but I would not like a thinned down version of LV.

I use whatever 0w20 is on clearance at AZ at the year end - put it in squirt can - hard to beat for wheel barrow/mower wheels and general lube -

My latest Granny Clampett "tonic" is :
1 part M1 20W50 V-Twin Motor cycle oil
1 part Dex VI ATF (GM)
1/4 part air tool oil

*Other times I have added STP oil treatment but now try to stay all synthetic .
I'm just as inclined to use Weapon Shield , FP10 , Slip 2000 EWL , etc. as I use so little of it in my applications .
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I use eds red as a bore cleaner and straight Mercon LV sparingly as lube. Seems to work really well in all my guns. I've also been told you can mix 50/50 with kerosene but I never saw the need for that.

1 part kerosene
1 part acetone
1 part mineral spirits
1 part ATF

It works a treat and you can mix up a gallon for $20 or so

If you're sold on "Red", along with, "Good Flowing" and "Nice Smelling", and a "Good Cleaner". You can always go with Marvel Mystery Oil straight from the bottle. It has all of those attributes.

I have used what ever automatic transmission fluid I had on the shelf , for gun oil .

I also have an oil can with ATF , STP & engine oil I have used on my LoadMaster and as gun oil .

No complaints , as long as you wipe off the excess .

To " break in " a new AR , I have run them wet with ATF .

God bless
Wyr

I tried ATF as lube, wasn't pleased with it in Sig P22x series pistols because its too thin and those guns like viscous, greasy oils.
I think ATF would work great, however, in an AR series gun!
Jury's out on whether it would work in an AK type gun.
happy2.gif

I have also used 5W-30 Mobil Super Synthetic. Seems to work fine .

Our little Red Sonic holds about 4.5 quarts , so I have about a pint left over from a 5 quart jug , to use for other purposes . I have a dedicated oil can containing synthetic oil .

Thanks , :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back