Ford Explorer Sporttrac longer OCI ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Ford Sportrac and I been doing longer OCI with Mobil 1 1st 2nd and changed it to M1EP this last time. I went a few month over a year on the last oil but put around 9000 miles on the oil. I just learned that those 4.0 V6 aan have timing chain and tensioner issues. Is that smart to do or not?

Last edited:
Depends on how your trip lengths are. Lots of highway, I think it would be fine. Short trips, less than 20 minutes, I'd not go 9k. An oil analysis with TBN would let you know.

Last edited:
Im going to chime in here since I've owned a 2003 with over 200000...In the family since new and was basically ran off vwb until up around 130000 or so..roughly 4000 mile oci's. Decided to use maxlife for a few oci's ,5 changes of chevron,and a couple of the old defy before formula change. Ran quiet still after 200000. They have been known to have their issues,they were supposed to be upgraded 2003 and beyond but have seen people have issues with all years. Just my thoughts,something to chew on from an ex sport trac owner. By the way one of my favorite vehicles to date. Just make sure you take care of that trans and rear end fluid!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shellguy
Im going to chime in here since I've owned a 2003 with over 200000...In the family since new and was basically ran off vwb until up around 130000 or so..roughly 4000 mile oci's. Decided to use maxlife for a few oci's ,5 changes of chevron,and a couple of the old defy before formula change. Ran quiet still after 200000. They have been known to have their issues,they were supposed to be upgraded 2003 and beyond but have seen people have issues with all years. Just my thoughts,something to chew on from an ex sport trac owner. By the way one of my favorite vehicles to date. Just make sure you take care of that trans and rear end fluid!

Good, mine is an 04 and wife had since new. She was pretty faithful with the half year oil changes. I like to use synthetic to go to the once a year oil change. It had a trans flush around 46,000 miles. Ford manual says to do rear end at 150,000 miles. Do you think thats too long? They also specify 75w90 back there meaning synthetic.

Originally Posted By: NH73

Good, mine is an 04 and wife had since new. She was pretty faithful with the half year oil changes. I like to use synthetic to go to the once a year oil change. It had a trans flush around 46,000 miles. Ford manual says to do rear end at 150,000 miles. Do you think thats too long? They also specify 75w90 back there meaning synthetic.

I changed the rear end oil in my 2005 at 90,000 miles (around 2013). Bought the truck brand new. There were absolutely no leaks, so I don't know if it was always low, or if it evaporated, but it was very thick, very polluted, and there wasn't much of it. I put WAY more in than came out. Don't wait until 150,000.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote

I changed the rear end oil in my 2005 at 90,000 miles (around 2013). Bought the truck brand new. There were absolutely no leaks, so I don't know if it was always low, or if it evaporated, but it was very thick, very polluted, and there wasn't much of it. I put WAY more in than came out. Don't wait until 150,000.
Oh wow. I was going to say that its not 150,000 unchecked miles. But before I wrote that I checked Ford's recommended maintenance schedule and there multi point inspection and you know what? Its not in there. Did you do a lot of heavy hauling/towing? Year? The way that sounds, I should do mine.

I find Ford manuals unfriendly - so I see all this 150k stuff and I'm wondering why they don't relate that side by side with severity of use. Well guess what - I flip back to the index and find other pages in the OM that cover severe use - bingo 30k OCI... That's a pretty wide spread and a great opportunity to miss the added (critical) information and also lends itself for the owner to pick something in between as I plan to do ... (likely 40k-50k in the fall weather)

Oh wow. I was going to say that its not 150,000 unchecked miles. But before I wrote that I checked Ford's recommended maintenance schedule and there multi point inspection and you know what? Its not in there. Did you do a lot of heavy hauling/towing? Year? The way that sounds, I should do mine. [/quote]

That truck never towed a thing in its life. It was driven around empty 99.9% of the time. The heaviest load it ever experienced was a bed full of bulk lawn soil from a dirt farm.
150K is just too long, IMO. Whoever owns it now is enjoying a pumpkin full of SevereGear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back