Give Me A Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm loading up a tractor at my house. Running around hectic.
A black Ram pulls up and the same two bozos that visit my properties and my mothers house get out wanting to do yet another seal coat job on the driveway. It happens every three months.

If it ain't them it's one of five other contractors. They all tell you it is good for 5 years and in 6 months it starts to
disappear. I always politely tell them from now on I'm going to do my own. Does that stop them? Nope!
Then it turns into are you going to sell your house? NO! Would you rent it? No!

Today these two jerks started arguing about the fact they said it lasts 5 years. I told them nicely that I must have been mistaken ( cough) and I'm not going to argue as it doesn't matter you will not be working here. They try the hard-sell and I tell them to leave as I'm busy. Still running their mouths, I then tell them I will throw them off if they don't leave and don't come back.

I'm not kidding. These guys are obnoxious bottom feeders. No means no.
They leave. Of course they all ignore the no soliciting sign.

And no I don't feel better and it isn't a rant. I don't bother people at their homes and I don't want to be bothered.
If a car breaks down in front of my house I am all to willing to help. But these driveway guys I have no interest in.
Around here they all conduct business this way. Just say no as Nancy used to say
wink.gif

Sadly they are actually licensed real businesses. They all do it around here.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Are they gyspsys? [censored] paving and sealing jobs are their scam of choice.

Wow I'm surprised they are that pushy. I know a few neighborhoods around here where they wouldn't make it too far trying that.

Might slow them down with, "Maybe it was your company we had you out here a couple of years ago. If you think it needs doing, you may need to do it for free."

They will probably run. And if they say it wasn't them, say thanks, I'll get the receipt and call the outfit who did it last time.

Feel free to have that conversation with yourself at your own convenience.

Sounds like the guys here that cruise parking lots looking to "polish" your car with a special polish for $150 while you shop. They spray it with wd40 and are gone before your done shopping. The wd40 lasts a couple of weeks.

Interesting that you paint the Romani people with such a broad brush.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Today these two jerks started arguing about the fact they said it lasts 5 years. I told them nicely that I must have been mistaken ( cough) and I'm not going to argue as it doesn't matter you will not be working here. They try the hard-sell and I tell them to leave as I'm busy. Still running their mouths, I then tell them I will throw them off if they don't leave and don't come back.

I don't know how people expect to get hired by way of starting or elevating an argument. Is that a tactic that really works on anyone?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

I don't know how people expect to get hired by way of starting or elevating an argument. Is that a tactic that really works on anyone?

more than you know. used to see it a lot working with older folks who want to avoid a confrontation in front of their neighbors. it's sad.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Might slow them down with, "Maybe it was your company we had you out here a couple of years ago. If you think it needs doing, you may need to do it for free."

They will probably run. And if they say it wasn't them, say thanks, I'll get the receipt and call the outfit who did it last time.

Feel free to have that conversation with yourself at your own convenience.

Love it!

I'd just put a sign that says, "Driveway was sealed last month". Point to it when they come by. If they don't leave your property tell them they're trespassing.

It's annoying but can't really blame them they are just people trying to get work for their business. I tell them no thank you that i'm not interested, they may try to give youtheir sales pitch but eventually they will leave and maybe give you a business card or flyer and be on their way. Maybe get one of those no solicitation signs and display it on the property.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

[off-topic]
1. I'm Romanian born. I'm tired of being associated with them
2. They earned a reputation. (some of them... I guess this is the point you are trying to make)
3. I had them as neighbors. Strange but respectful, which I obliged back.
4. I was there when the lawyer for the Community come to a University to register 4 Romani students who earned themselfs an all paid-off (by the Romani Community) run trough the college because of their hard work. My hat off to them.
[/off-topic]

There are bad apples from every country, and great people, too. I used to work with a Romanian woman. Very nice and a hard worker. She grew up in the Ceaucescu era, and told me stories about the revolution.

I have spent a good deal of time in Romania and those folks were here and there on the street corners - but I have also run across a few of the driveway pavers here and they were not from Romania

How do gypsies have anything to do with being Romanian? Sure they can be found there, but they can be found in other countries too. When I was in Eastern Europe (not Romania), I was told they were actually from India.. distantly I believe.

There are tons of Romanian families living in/around Axtell, Texas.
Overall, Very Good people to know and work with.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
There are bad apples from every country, ...

Yep. Gypsies don't have to come from Romania, there are scammers from EVERYWHERE

I can't get a drive way sealer to show up (legitimate or crooked) to give me a crack sealing quote. 2 months ago one showed up and refused to give me a quote....they only wanted to do a new driveway.

A couple years ago one pair of guys gave me a hard sell while I was cleaning my gutters. I told them to come back with a quote...they never did.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

The crime families are a distinct minority within the Romani population.

Also, a good portion of the home repair scams are in fact run by the minority crime families within the "Irish Traveller" population. Although, they are also mistakenly called gypsies because of their earlier tendency for a nomadic lifestyle. They are genetically Irish and not in the least related to the Romani.

That is as totally bogus as using the Mafia to paint all Italians as criminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back