JB ENGINE OIL SUPPLEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys. Before I say this I know I know "Don't worry about additives just use the cheapest quality oil that meets the specs of the engine". Now that is said. I currently work for an independent shop. The owner is very knowledge able and an AMSOIL dealer. Loves AMSOIL and JB products. He has been using JB products for 30 years with out having any issues. The JB rep came in the shop the other day with a new product. Its called ENGINE OIL SUPPLEMENT. He also brought in a bearing friction test machine, where an electric motor spins a bearing and a metal bar is applied with weight until it stalls out. I've never seen this before. He used oil from around the shop amsoil, Pennzoil, mobil etc. On the second plate of weight the bearing stalled out with all the oil ok. He then applied this oil supplement to the various oils (also did the same thing with the engine tune up) and the was able to put maybe 6 more plates on with out it stalling. Does this test make sense? Is there any value to this product? What are the potential issues that could arise? It was an impressive test. But it may only be impressive to myself and the techs in the shop because maybe we do not understand what is really happening. Any information or explanation would be helpful as I'm really trying to learn all I can. I have common sense but I'm no engineer and admit when I'm ignorant.

Originally Posted By: JHogan
Hello Guys. Before I say this I know I know "Don't worry about additives just use the cheapest quality oil that meets the specs of the engine". Now that is said. I currently work for an independent shop. The owner is very knowledge able and an AMSOIL dealer. Loves AMSOIL and JB products. He has been using JB products for 30 years with out having any issues. The JB rep came in the shop the other day with a new product. Its called ENGINE OIL SUPPLEMENT. He also brought in a bearing friction test machine, where an electric motor spins a bearing and a metal bar is applied with weight until it stalls out. I've never seen this before. He used oil from around the shop amsoil, Pennzoil, mobil etc. On the second plate of weight the bearing stalled out with all the oil ok. He then applied this oil supplement to the various oils (also did the same thing with the engine tune up) and the was able to put maybe 6 more plates on with out it stalling. Does this test make sense? Is there any value to this product? What are the potential issues that could arise? It was an impressive test. But it may only be impressive to myself and the techs in the shop because maybe we do not understand what is really happening. Any information or explanation would be helpful as I'm really trying to learn all I can. I have common sense but I'm no engineer and admit when I'm ignorant.

Gimmick.
Waste of money.
As long as your oil-pump works and you have 'something' in the sump, your engine will never encounter the above.

Top flight engine oils DON'T need supplements. One could comfortably retire with the $$$ spent on lubricants and additives after a demonstration of a machine like you are referring to. In reality, testing the reduction in wear in an engine using this and that additives versus just using a top flight crankcase oil would cost big buck and involve weighing engine components before and after a run on a test stand. Stick with the major oils and save your dollars for regular maintenance.

You should have tried dish washing liquid on his machine. It may have performed better than ALL the engine oils and oil supplements.

Wow. I feel like the JB rep came into my shop with a new product...
cool.gif

What have you learned from above when nobody has any experience whatsoever with the product?
Just keeping it real. You have more experience than my post and all of the above
smile.gif

The test is a gimmick known as the "one arm bandit". It tells nothing of a product's actual performance. It used to be a lever arm that you would manually push before the "weighted arm" was made standard.

Interesting your shop does both Amsoil and JB because Amsoil did a decent video debunking it:

Last edited:
Jhogan---the situation demonstrated with the JB vs other oils does not occur in an engine. In addition to dishwashing liquid, I also heard plain ole bleach does very well in the one arm bandit test
Steve

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
The test is a gimmick known as the "one arm bandit". It tells nothing of a product's actual performance. It used to be a lever arm that you would manually push before the "weighted arm" was made standard.

Interesting your shop does both Amsoil and JB because Amsoil did a decent video debunking it:

I run head and shoulders with almond oil extract in all of my engines! After my standard oci it is still good enough to run in my wifes hair
wink.gif

The "One armed Bandit" sells another can of JB!!

I also bought one can after getting the demo back in 1991. Never bothered to try to find it later.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The "One armed Bandit" sells another can of JB!!

I also bought one can after getting the demo back in 1991. Never bothered to try to find it later.
Well I haven't bought any of it. The shop is always supplied with it. But something seemed fishy to me. If its so good why are they keeping it proprietary? Idk Putting what seems to be chemical water into an engine makes me very uneasy. I had just never seen that test before so I didn't know what to make of it. The test was very similar except there was a plate and he just kept adding weights to it instead.

****and the Lucas/Moreys counter top crank machine sold a lot of engine oil stabilizer,that is until people found out if you crank it fast it froths with air bubbles.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
****and the Lucas/Moreys counter top crank machine sold a lot of engine oil stabilizer,that is until people found out if you crank it fast it froths with air bubbles.

I loved playing with those! Never did buy Lucas because I didn't see a need for it, but it was fun to spin the wheel

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

I loved playing with those! Never did buy Lucas because I didn't see a need for it, but it was fun to spin the wheel
Yeah it was very fun but like you said there was never a need ha.

Originally Posted By: JHogan

If its so good why are they keeping it proprietary?

Because if they told you what it was, you'd likely never pay money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back