oops lost manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys:

I have a few different 2 cycle engines (2 blowers, weed eater, tiller).

Has anyone noticed that some manufacturers do not put the oil mix on the device? First world problem, but this makes me nuts because I have to hunt down the manual every season - some of which I have lost in various moves.

For example - I have been running 50:1 through a Poulan Pro blower. But - I noticed a premix bottle I saved shows 40:1 for Poulan devices. (Poulan website also says 40:1, but Lowes website says 50:1 for this model).

Am I going to kill an engine running 50:1?

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Hi Guys:

I have a few different 2 cycle engines (2 blowers, weed eater, tiller).

Has anyone noticed that some manufacturers do not put the oil mix on the device? First world problem, but this makes me nuts because I have to hunt down the manual every season - some of which I have lost in various moves.

For example - I have been running 50:1 through a Poulan Pro blower. But - I noticed a premix bottle I saved shows 40:1 for Poulan devices. (Poulan website also says 40:1, but Lowes website says 50:1 for this model).

Am I going to kill an engine running 50:1?
Write the mix on the unit with a marker. 50 to 1 with a good synthetic 2 cycle oil should be OK. I run a weed whacker and a little tiller on 50 to 1.

In my experience, the mix ratio has more to do with the quality of the oil used.

I have a few older two stroke machines that say 40:1 or even 32:1. The oil quality back when these machines were made was not as good as today. I run 50:1 in them and they run perfect. I even had one of the chainsaws apart to replace a seal and it looked great inside.

I honestly think some of the manufacturers just keep the same recommendation in the manual for years without changing it. I remember seeing a fairly new snowblower from a big box store recommending SAE 20. I'm not sure if they even make that anymore.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
In my experience, the mix ratio has more to do with the quality of the oil used.

I have a few older two stroke machines that say 40:1 or even 32:1. The oil quality back when these machines were made was not as good as today. I run 50:1 in them and they run perfect. I even had one of the chainsaws apart to replace a seal and it looked great inside.

I honestly think some of the manufacturers just keep the same recommendation in the manual for years without changing it. I remember seeing a fairly new snowblower from a big box store recommending SAE 20. I'm not sure if they even make that anymore.

This makes sense - I hate paying for premix, but the smoke is a lot lower. A 40:1 can I mixed myself smokes out the whole yard - I'm sure it was the stuff that came with the Kmart weedwacker.

What is a good quality oil? Everything I see appears to be a private brand.

I usually just run 32:1 in everything because I am running Lawnboy mowers but it runs fine in the Echo too that calls for 50:1. If your smoke sensitive just run 40:1 in everything. It won't hurt.
I found more oil is better.
I miss the days of 16:1 and 20:1.

I buy my 2 stroke oil by the gallon and use the little measuring cup they give you with it. 2.6oz per gallon is 50:1 and I usually just put in 3oz

What is a good quality oil? Everything I see appears to be a private brand.

I don't use too much of it, so I just buy the semi-synthetic Husqvarna stuff from Amazon. They usually sell a case with 6 or 9 pre-measured bottles.

I've also used the Briggs and Stratton 2 stroke oil. Any name brand will be fine. I tend to avoid the no name brands like "leaf blower mix" or something from WalMart/Sears.

There isn't much difference between 40:1 and 50:1 so I would not panic if I got it wrong once or twice, but aside from the mix not being optimal you can always default to a stronger mix of oil to fuel. So running 40:1 in a machine that is supposed to have 50:1 isn't going to cause much problems.

I also have a DYMO labelmaker that I use for all kinds of stuff, but if you wanted, you could just create a label and stick it on the device if you wanted.

There are a number of labelmakers available, BROTHER also makes some, for example, but I like the DYMOs ... get one that uses D1 cartridges (eg Labelmaker 160; $14 on Amazon, although the better deal is one packaged with two tape cartridges), or if you are serious the RHINOs are the way to go, although they are not cheap.

The RHINOs do cable marking and although the appropriate cartridges are expensive, you can mark shrink tubing for cable wiring with them. Handy if you do any electrical work on automotive applications.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
There isn't much difference between 40:1 and 50:1 so I would not panic if I got it wrong once or twice, but aside from the mix not being optimal you can always default to a stronger mix of oil to fuel. So running 40:1 in a machine that is supposed to have 50:1 isn't going to cause much problems.

I also have a DYMO labelmaker that I use for all kinds of stuff, but if you wanted, you could just create a label and stick it on the device if you wanted.

There are a number of labelmakers available, BROTHER also makes some, for example, but I like the DYMOs ... get one that uses D1 cartridges (eg Labelmaker 160; $14 on Amazon, although the better deal is one packaged with two tape cartridges), or if you are serious the RHINOs are the way to go, although they are not cheap.

The RHINOs do cable marking and although the appropriate cartridges are expensive, you can mark shrink tubing for cable wiring with them. Handy if you do any electrical work on automotive applications.

Thanks - been looking for a label maker for a bit, just have not pulled the trigger. For $14 I'll pick one up.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
2.6oz per gallon is 50:1 and I usually just put in 3oz

Pretty much the same here.

I pay no attention to what the sicker on the equipment says, and they ALL get the same premix.

There isn't much difference between 40:1 and 50:1 so I would not panic if I got it wrong once or twice, but aside from the mix not being optimal you can always default to a stronger mix of oil to fuel. So running 40:1 in a machine that is supposed to have 50:1 isn't going to cause much ANYproblems.

Fixed that for you.

So running 40:1 in a machine that is supposed to have 50:1 isn't going to cause much problems.

Actually, on today's sealed carburetors with sealed mixture screws, running 40:1 in a 50:1 machine, or vice versa, has a very large chance of not running correctly. I used to have customers by the boat load bring me two cycle equipment that "wasnt running right". I would drain the tank, refill it with the correct fuel mix that the manufacturer suggests, and bam, the equipment was running like new. I've seen it a hundred times.

Thanks for the replies all. I got them all labelled out. All are 50:1 except for the cheap weedeater brand trimmer. It bogs down even with the premix hi octane stuff, so unless I can figure out how to adjust the carb via youtube, this may be it's last season.

I'm considering an electric to replace it. But that is another topic.

Thanks for the replies all. I got them all labelled out. All are 50:1 except for the cheap weedeater brand trimmer. It bogs down even with the premix hi octane stuff, so unless I can figure out how to adjust the carb via youtube, this may be it's last season.

I'm considering an electric to replace it. But that is another topic.

Absolutely go electric!
Plug & play, minimal maintenance, starts every single time. Powerful at low RPM too, when you get to the thick stuff.
No blade to worry about (like cutting the cord accidentally) when talking about string trimmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back