1983 Toyota Cressida -- higher pitched whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

When I drove my car and speed was around 60, I noticed a pretty solid higher pitched whine coming from the rear of the car. The higher the speed, the higher the noise.

I did changed the fluid bur there is nothing change in term of the sound. Any suggestion?

It is likely a wheel bearing, if I recall correctly the mx62 didn't have pressed in bearings the way the mx83 did so replacement should be a walk in the park

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
It is likely a wheel bearing, if I recall correctly the mx62 didn't have pressed in bearings the way the mx83 did so replacement should be a walk in the park

That's great!!

How you can be so sure??

Last edited:
whine to me suggests the rear diff. Cressida of that era is RWD if I recall. I don't remember if its a solid axle or a independent rear suspension setup.

Needs to be checked for fluid, and potentially checked for pinion bearing R&R.

-m

Originally Posted By: momo

That's great!!

How you can be so sure??

All Cressidas until 1988 had the old fashioned rear wheel bearings that weren't sealed and needed periodic maintenance.
Source: I owned and ran the Internet's biggest Toyota Cressida website and forum for about seven years. Now defunct sadly. Was a nice community.
RockAuto shows a huge selection of wheel bearings for your car, for CHEAP!
If you do those wheel bearings and there's still noise, well, at least the wheel bearings are freshened up and you aren't out too much money.

Originally Posted By: momo

That's great!!

How you can be so sure??

All Cressidas until 1988 had the old fashioned rear wheel bearings that weren't sealed and needed periodic maintenance.
Source: I owned and ran the Internet's biggest Toyota Cressida website and forum for about seven years. Now defunct sadly. Was a nice community.
RockAuto shows a huge selection of wheel bearings for your car, for CHEAP!
If you do those wheel bearings and there's still noise, well, at least the wheel bearings are freshened up and you aren't out too much money.

I'm pretty sure the MX63s didn't use tapered bearings in the back with IRS. My parents had one and we didn't touch the rear wheel bearings, I did with the fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back