Ford Coil on Plug - removal tips to prevent damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Saturday I tried to replace the plugs on the 2009 Flex with 3.5L V6, pulled the coil out of # 1 and the lower rubber piece was left remaining on the plug - I suspect the dealer tech that did the last change didn't use any dielectric grease on the rubber boot and now it welded itself to the porcelain. Tried to get that rubber piece (Motorcraft WR6135) to come off the plug in one piece, no such luck, pieces chunked off with use of my long handled needle nose pliers.

I stopped the spark plug project. These rubber parts are $ 9 CAD each. Is there a better way to remove these without damaging? Not a lot of room down at the bottom of the hole..

Thanks again if you can offer some advice!

I did the sparkplugs at 78k on my SHO (Same design as the NA 3.5) and tore a couple from the factory. So I don't think they used dielectric either. Or it dried up. What I did was get them all out and went to the dealer to replace the boots I tore. I think I only tore 1 or 2 of them so it may get better as things go along.

Only thing I could think would be to try to get some WD40 down there but you would have to then clean the boot really good on reinstallation.

Any way to get compressed air in there?

It'll inflate the rubber like a balloon so it pops off easily without tearing

You should replace the coil boots during a tune up. It's a piece of rubber that's been through 100k miles of heat cycles.

I always price them out for a tune up. Most customers refuse them assuming I'm trying to scam them but I keep doing it!

Originally Posted By: saginawmale50
soak with pb blaster for a few days

Bad idea. PB is petroleum based and will make the boots swell so they won't hold in the high voltage.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
You should replace the coil boots during a tune up. It's a piece of rubber that's been through 100k miles of heat cycles.

I always price them out for a tune up. Most customers refuse them assuming I'm trying to scam them but I keep doing it!

I totally agree and do the same thing with my customers.

Think of it this way- people don't typically run plug wires longer than the typical 100k plus spark plugs, so why run the boot again?

UPDATE:

I purchased 6pc of the boots from the local Ford dealer, with the understanding that if I didn't need all 6 they could be returned.

I made myself a pick from a piece of coat hanger, about 7 inches long with a 3/16" bend on the end. Fit down the plug hole and slide past the stuck boot, twist and pull up. Couple of attempts and the boot comes out without damage. I needed 2pc of the rubber boots, 4 will be returned. The original 4 undamaged rubber boots all looked in excellent condition, very pliable, no cracks, no discolouration after 168,000km.

New plugs installed with a blob of dielectric grease applied inside the boots, some anti-seize on the threads and job done in about 1.5 hours including the removal of the intake manifold. Now Flex is set for another 5 years :eek:)

Just changed Motorcraft Platinum plugs on a 2003 4.6L. 198,000 miles,2nd time plugs have been changed. gaps at.060 grown from .054.Boots look perfect.WD40 spray,twist and they come right out.Cylinder #4 spark plug is always the tightest,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back