PYB still a BITOG fave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up an old ('94) Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a rebuilt engine. About 30,000 miles on the engine. I changed the oil after I got it, with STP conv. 10w-40 and a Hastings filter. I'm intending to do 5,000 mile oil changes, just wondering if PYB is still held in high regard here?

You know, I don't see it specifically recommended as much anymore. Same with TGMO. It seems that a lot of the recommendations just suggest to use any oil (or the cheapest) that has the API starburst of appropriate grade - which I think is a good answer. Then usually a synthetic for longer intervals or super cold climates.

As of lately I don't believe there is a favorite oil here. You will see more posts on certain brands just due to market share, i.e. Mobil 1 vs Castrol. Any major brand, synthetic or conventional that meets specs is good to go.

Additionally, most conventional oils if not all are pretty much synthetic blends anymore as requirements get tougher.

PYB is still a very good cleaning conventional oil. Seems like Castrol Magnatec is the new BITOG favorite now.

PYB is great but if it were me I would just wait till Home Depot has Formula Shell conventional on sale and use that. Your truck will never know the difference and you will save a few $

It's on the slow decline because synthetics are becoming more popular and less vehicles can use it today than 5 years ago.

I didn't know a forum had a conscience or consensus.

New engine designs need premium oil.

On a Budget?: I have been liking QSUD 10w30 Synthetic or 5w20 MAGNATEC "Synthetic" The past 2 years.

Why the 10W40 on a rebuilt engine to start with & what motor -- im assuming the 5.9L (360) or the 5.2L (318)?? Why not run 10W30 as recommended by Dodge? Not like 10W40 is gonna hurt anything in California. Long Live MOPAR!!!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Why the 10W40 on a rebuilt engine to start with & what motor -- im assuming the 5.9L (360) or the 5.2L (318)?? Why not run 10W30 as recommended by Dodge? Not like 10W40 is gonna hurt anything in California. Long Live MOPAR!!!!
wink.gif

I hope it lives long! When I first got it, oil pressure was reading a bit low, admittedly on a factory gauge of unknown accuracy. The seller had the oil changed shortly before I got it, and it could have been 5w-20 for all I know. But I like the way the oil pressure gauge reads now. Guess I should get an aftermarket gauge so I really know what's going on.

I wish this boards software was updated to run polls because you can never really get a consensus that is quantifiable around here. Just heavy opinions for or against something and most who read anything here, are filtering it through their own biases anyways.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I wish this boards software was updated to run polls because you can never really get a consensus that is quantifiable around here. Just heavy opinions for or against something and most who read anything here, are filtering it through their own biases anyways.

A poll of opinions, filtered through their own bias, is still just a bunch of opinions. You have more confidence in the masses than I do.

Originally Posted By: KevinP

A poll of opinions, filtered through their own bias, is still just a bunch of opinions. You have more confidence in the masses than I do.

Boy, you way twisted that out of context. The subject of this thread is asking about consensus or majority opinion, not necessarily a statement of fact. If you want measure a consensus or majority trend on a subject, a poll can do that. Whether a result of the poll shows any facts to what is being polled, that is another discussion.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: KevinP

Boy, you way twisted that out of context. The subject of this thread is asking about consensus or majority opinion, not necessarily a statement of fact. If you want measure a consensus or majority trend on a subject, a poll can do that. Whether a result of the poll shows any facts to what is being polled, that is another discussion.

Sorry.... not trying to be a jerk. I'm just expressing my doubts about the wisdom of the masses. ;-)

In 1 of 3 vehicles I been using PYB since 50-55k on the clock. It's about to hit 132k very soon.
I went to PYB because of many good things said about it and good UOAs. Plus available locally but my last few jugs were bought on Amazon.
My fill cap has 5w-20 and the book recommends Quaker State, so I been using PYB 5w-30.
I didn't see many negatives about PYB.
I have a couple more jugs of it, don't know how much longer I'll continue using it as I have an itch to try something else, maybe a HM (MaxLife), maybe Castrol MagnaTec, don't know yet. I do 5k OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back