Century Link/ZYXEL C1100Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having some issues with my old setup, Actiontec in bridged mode with a Cisco Linksys for the router/wireless. It kept dropping the connection and would require to reboot both before it would connect, this was about every other day or so. I have a friend that works for them so he hooked me up with this one and it it working great. How ever I see they end up having issues with the same thing, they drop the connection. I've had this for about a month with no issues.

Anyone have any experience with these?

That is usually caused by heat.
You can usually feel the heat with your hand.
If it feels warm to your touch, then it has over heated

I attached a USB fan on the my modem (motorola cable modem).
Place the router on a laptop fan cooler.

Some of them, you have to open it up and fix the heatsink by putting Arctic Silver 5 and the proper copper plate in between if it has big gap.

I am not familiar with your particular brand but that is what I do with mine.

Last edited:
Cant you get a standalone modem and not an all in one so as to avoid running in bridged mode? Why not just use the wireless from the zyxel itself and not bother with the linksys? If you want to use your own wireless, dont use a gateway. I have had my current modem for about 4 years now without any issues. Keep in mind these devices have a lifespan as well.

Call your provider and tell them you want a standalone modem and see if they can send you one.

Last edited:
I did remove both the Actiontec and the LInksys and installed the ZYXEL all by itself, sorry for not making that clearer. It seems to be working great but I read a bunch a reviews that said it can have problems keeping a connection and just wondered if any one here had any issues with it.

I'm sure the Actiontec was just getting old, I've been using it since 2001 but the reason for adding the Linksys was the Actiontec had horrible range for the wireless, I could barley get a connection upstairs. Adding the Linksys gave me a much better range but it also was over 10 years old so I figure I got my money's worth.

Linksys router is known to get hot. All of them are known to get hot.

I am not sure what model you used, I had EA6400.
You can google it on how to disassemble the heatsink and reassemble it with better heat transfer paste and may be some copper pad to close the gap.

After you fix it, get a laptop pad fan and put it on top with the fan running.

Not familiar with Actiontec, I use Motorola/Arris.

For reference, I have CenturyLink broadband internet and they initially sent me the Technicolor C1100T. In the few days I had it, it worked fine and seem to run cool to the touch. I wanted to buy my own equipment so I sent it back. I purchased a NETGEAR High-Speed Broadband DSL (VDSL/ADSL) Modem (DM200-100NAS) via Amazon Warehouse Deal. It runs hot, but has never let me down in the 4-months I've had it.

For the WiFi, I'm using a NETGEAR WAC510 AC WiFi Business Access Point. After helping NETGEAR sort out their Firmware issue, all my devices connect seamlessly now. And for the record, I've found the consumer side of NETGEAR support to be a hit and miss. The commercial side products and support is much better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back