Harley Davidson to Buy Ducati from VAG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard something about Volkswagen Auto Group considering selling off Ducati. Which spawned, apparently rumors at some HD dealerships that The Motor Company was mulling purchasing Ducati. That would be kind of cool, in a strange way. But I don't see HD taking on an acquisition when their own sales forecast is not where they want it to be. Also heard Polaris was looking at it. Personally I hope Polaris does not buy Ducati.

Polaris discontinued cycle production last year I believe and HD was laying off around 200 workers according to the new earlier this. I would like to know what the numbers of bike sales are as it seems many are abandoning riding 2 wheels with all the 4 wheeled assassins out there

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Polaris discontinued cycle production last year I believe and HD was laying off around 200 workers according to the new earlier this. I would like to know what the numbers of bike sales are as it seems many are abandoning riding 2 wheels with all the 4 wheeled assassins out there

Polaris killed Victory, not all cycles since they own the Indian brand too.

The news is old June

HD supposedly backed out after the initial valuation of like $1.4B. The last I heard was Bajaj was the front runner. Although, I also heard that the unions in Italy might completely block the sale from happening at all and it won't be sold. I think that was all from a Cyclenews article earlier this month.

Actually, I think Ducati would be a natural fit for The Motor Company, as they are struggling to offset reduced sales of heavyweight motorcycles by offering lighter bikes. They spent a lot of money developing the 500~750cc models and I think could benefit from a respected brand of european types in the catalog. Of course it could be a financial stretch so possibly not a viable option; there is definitely some reason to believe they can't do a deal, but certainly I can see a strategic angle to buying Ducati.

Originally Posted By: bioburner

Still lot of demand for 2 wheelers abroad.
Not sure how many could afford a ducati abroad though ! I do Agree with your post though. Former bike rider !

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Heard something about Volkswagen Auto Group considering selling off Ducati. Which spawned, apparently rumors at some HD dealerships that The Motor Company was mulling purchasing Ducati. That would be kind of cool, in a strange way. But I don't see HD taking on an acquisition when their own sales forecast is not where they want it to be. Also heard Polaris was looking at it. Personally I hope Polaris does not buy Ducati.

Yes, Harley is considering buying Ducati, it has been for some time.
Lets all keep something in mind, ALL motorcycle sales are in a slump including Ducati which may finally have Harley no long persue it as you would be buying a company that is struggling to keep sales up..

I only point that out because people keep pointing a finger at Harley, that fact of the matter is, in the USA the interest in motorcycles by younger people are in a decline, you cant have sales increases if the public no longer has interest, its just who will grab what is left of a pie that gets smaller and smaller or like Harley is doing, promoting biking among younger people..

Here is the latest Motley comments, Motley always hates Harley, keep that in mind, click

Last edited:
You would have to wonder if Harley , who hasn't been very successful in attracting younger riders to buy their products, how they plan on selling Ducati motorcycles if the existing Ducati company is up for sale. Ducati probably isn't setting the world on fire with sales of their bike's these days, so putting it up for sale will probably cut ongoing and potential losses. It's hard to impossible these day to make and sell only one product line, like Harley does. Polaris has more vehicle line's to create income. I don't believe Ducati sells anything but their motorcycles.,,

Ducati, like Harley, also sells a successful apparel line. Any motorcycle dealer will tell you that where they make the majority of their money, is in service.

If you look at the mileage on motorcycle's for sale, I wonder if that's still true. Besides people not buying bikes like they used to, I don't think they're riding them like they used to either. How much service will a 5 year old bike need with 1500 miles on it?. That's seems like what you find if you go shopping. Then you have those who buy a bike and don't want to ride it much because they're afraid of putting whats considered "too many miles" on it, thus lowering the resale price. But your right not everyone can afford a Harley, but just about anyone can afford a Harley tee shirt.,,

I have quite a few friends, and some family, in the Motorcycle dealership game. Service is still where the majority of their money comes from.

But yes, as we've discussed in other threads, Motorcycles are simply not selling the way they used to.

I think the blame for falling sales is just deeply flawed product. For reasons beyond my comprehension, in the past 10 -15 years the industry has produced a steady stream of butt ugly bikes. Cruisers were never my bag but even for people that like them, where's the fresh designs ? Nothing. The Japanese bikes look like insects / aside from 2-3 Italian bikes the whole industry is competing for worst design honors. YMMV.

What's killing younger riders are the insurance, speed cameras, Gestapo like police enforcement. Oh yeah and the texters...

I've seen a lot of 20somethings enter and exit. You used to be able to get away with stuff that is now a felony. And please let's not kid ourselves, nobody buys bikes to ride then like a grandma.

Still there are a lot of supermotos being sold to youngsters that used that drool over Ninjas. So maybe they need to make cheap fun light bikes again.

It also amazes me how many people ride bicycles in the city when a motorcycle will do the same AAAND take you 100 miles away from there. But hey you have Uber for that. Only $70 a ride!

Quote:
[/quote]in the past 10 -15 years the industry has produced a steady stream of butt ugly bikes
I agree. Especially the MT/FZ Yamaha bikes. Great bikes but hideous to look at.
I recently purchased a BMW 1200GS and i think the front portion of the bike is a freaking nightmare of angles and multiply body panels. However the bike is awesome to ride.

Actually, most cars these days are an eyesore with so many body angles & crease lines and headlights and tail lights that are huge with some headlights nearly extend up to the windscreen.

It appears that in general 'form' precedes 'function' these days which is a (sad) sign of the times.

Ps I am 66 and started riding bikes when 16. These days, whenever you stop at a cafe or whatever that attracts motorcyclists, the average age would be 55+. Younger riders < 30years old are few & far between and Ducati is synonymous with sports bikes (uncomfortable) and with stupid speed limits and revenue raising policing, riding bikes is becoming less exciting. Maybe VAG sees the writing on the wall and getting out of motorbikes while there may still be a buyer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back