Cleaning contaminated sample pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Blackstone pump got contaminated when Iet it turn sideways accidentally...

Any ideas for cleaning?

I’m thinking Dawn detergent maybe.

It looks like I can possibly remove the plunger assembly and dry as well...

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Brake cleaner?

Kind of wondering what that will do to whatever seals the piston in the bore...I’m guessing it is an “O-Ring”...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Brake cleaner?

Kind of wondering what that will do to whatever seals the piston in the bore...I’m guessing it is an “O-Ring”...

Yeh. I'd keep brake cleaner for whatever its designed for...Oh wait, that'd be cleaning brakes, for which it is bloody useless.

Brake fluid, OTOH, isn't designed for cleaning anything, yet its a good, rubber friendly, water-miscible solvent and an effective carb cleaner. Odd that.

I suspect it'd be OK for this, but soapy water is probably good enough.

Soapy water is good for cleaning brakes too....

"Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel...."

If you are only analyzing one type of oil through it, just flush fresh oil through it until whatever contaminant you have in there is out.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
If you are only analyzing one type of oil through it, just flush fresh oil through it until whatever contaminant you have in there is out.

If an oil flush is going to be adequate, it should really be an excess of the used oil that you want to analyse, otherwise you dilute the sample.

I use it on multiple vehicles.

When I say contaminated I really mean it has used oil where it should not.

It had used oil running it if the plunger handle, so I need to flush it with something that will remove the used oil and not leave stray chemicals.

I did leave it standing on end so perhaps it won’t be too bad.

To bring this to a close.

I had left it sitting upright to drain so a goodly portion of the used oil had drained.

I submerged it in warm water/Dawn and drew this through the pump, this produced more or less clear water fairly quickly. However in the process of drying it off I discovered that the pump chamber is only a press fit into the plastic housing so I removed the chamber then the other end will unscrew.

There are 4 pieces of rubber in the pump. 3 o-rings and a flapper. There is an o-ring on the tubing ferrel, one on the jar seal and one on the piston. The flapper is secured to the plastic manifold at the base of the pump chamber with a single Phillips screw.

I removed all the rubber and cleaned it further with brake cleaner and foamy gunk.

FWIW, the Dawn treatment followed by clear water would have gotten it clean enough. As would just filling it up with foamy Gunk and rinsing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back