AC Delco Classic vs Professional Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Peter_480
I don't use AC filters myself but I'll add a question - who is the OEM for them?

AC Delco is a GM brand . Who actually makes the AC Delco oil filters ? I do not know .

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Classic -- does not have the e-core center tube design; has a metal center tube

Professional -- has e-core design

What is e-core & which of the two is to be preferred ?

Thanks , :)

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

The metal center tube has a sturdier construction is the general idea around here and is less prone to cause catastrophic engine failure in the (unlikely) event the filter media blows apart and gets sucked back into the engine, blocking critical oil passages. GM trusts the e-cores as standard OE replacements in all their service departments so they must be okay. E-cores feature a plastic cage with large gaps in the tube for maximum oil flow and circulation. They're made by Champion Labs, and as long as they don't switch suppliers to Purolator, we shouldn't have to worry about the media failing on an e-core.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

E-core -- has "plastic" cage-like center tube design where the filter media is clearly visible (for spin-on filters)

Most people prefer the non-ecore design; that is, most prefer the spin-on filters with metal center tubes.

Hey, about your question about larger filters for the SBC and 3800

Longer upgrades for those M18 filters:
Medium
PF51 AC Delco
PH51 Champ
PH3980 FRAM
and equivalents

Large
51036 Wix
PF52 Delco
PH3535 FRAM
and equivalents

The larger filters are less common than the medium and stock sized ones.

Here is a virgin cut & post of an eCore.

AC Delco eCore cut & post
I have run the PF1250 to 6K without issues.

I have run the similarly constructed Champ PH820 without major issues to 3 to 5K. These were close outs and the nitrile combo valve started losing ADBV function in less than 3K miles.

The big thing is they don't collapse or tear like others we have seen.

The Classic uses a nitrile ADBV and separate bypass valve. I do not know if the Classic configuration solves the drain back issue or not. Most BITOGERs are more comfortable with the Classic design.

Ive run both classic and ecore. I have been cutting my filters open after use for a wile now and never seen a defect in either. But I only go 3K or 1 year (which ever comes 1st) so I can't comment on their extended OCI use.

I buy them in bulk from RA when they happen to be in the same warehouse as something else I am getting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back