oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, people-
Today I changed my oil and I saw this little plastic thing in it. The old filter also had it. What is it's function?

Thx
It's a m-108a ExxonMobil

Classic Champ Labs blue button bypass. Same as used on current STP 6607 equivalent application sold at local AZs. Only it uses nitrile adbv instead of silicone in the M1 shown.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Classic Champ Labs blue button bypass. Same as used on current STP 6607 equivalent application sold at local AZs. Only it uses nitrile adbv instead of silicone in the M1 shown.

This whole time I thought AZ's STP filters were Purolator. When did the change happen?

^^^^^AZ STP blue cans have never been Purolator made, at least in this area. Before the Fram/Champ alliance, always all Champ Labs made, very similar to the old WM Super Tech line. Then after Fram-Champ (fram filtration) got together, they became a combination of Fram/Champ filters. Now after the fram-champ separation at AZ here at least, they have remained as such. That explained in this recent post HERE

Several Puro made AZ STP blue can anecdotes have shown up here in last year or two. Iirc, at one point the fram rep said they were all going to Puro made, then early this year said that they were all being offshored. Neither has happened.

To topic bypass, if OP interested in a little more detailed info on bypass function, Baldwin link basic explanation of function. It appears to show a thread end bypass vs dome end in topic but idea is the same. Just bypass opens at dome end in topic filter.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/TechTips201409.html

I like the looks and feel of the M1 filters. They seem to be very neat and precisionly (is that a real word? haha) put together. If I go aftermarket on my Honda,the M1-110 is what I'll be using.

I'd like to point out the lack of comments regarding two things:
Leaf spring.
BP construction.

If this were a Fram someone would whine about the type of button bypass, and the leaf spring. It's not a Fram, so these go unchallendged?

To be clear, I think the leaf spring and button BP are perfectly acceptable. i am not complaining on that plane.

I just find the lack of complaints for the very same features which exist in another product so often ridiculed a bit of hypocrisy by some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back