Toyota wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rims I just bought were 16" 'take offs' from a 2017 Tacoma, hub measurement 106.1mm the 2006 4Runner hub measurement is 106mm so wondering if this is going to be trouble?

..another concern is TPMS, I'm going to buy the Denso brand ($40ea.) but is that in conflict with the spare 17"? overall tire diameter is the same ...265/65/17 vs. 265/70/16

Toyota Wheels

Taco take offs

I don't know how hard or easy it is to swap in a new set of tire pressure monitors for your Tacoma, but there was a thread here on BITOG that mentioned that there are clone tire pressure monitors that can be programmed to copy your existing set so the vehicle sees your second set just like the first set.

Last edited:
I'm going to look into chrome plating these steel rims..would look great but the costs I'm seeing like $200ea.

I'm setting up 2 set's of wheels.. one 16" other 17" both Toyota brand and tire diameter will be equal.

There is a tool I used to store and swap codes for the TPMS sensors in my mom's Lexus. Its sold by tire rack and on Amazon. The Toyota actually looks for specific sensor codes in the wheels based on what's programmed in the computer. On my mom's Lexus we bought a wheel and tire package with TPMS sensors from Tire Rack for winter tires. The tool reads the codes for the original wheels and stores them, then with the software that comes with it you can input the sensor codes from a additional set of sensors and then write that to the handheld tool. From there on out its a simple 30 second process to program the cars computer with the sensor codes for the set of wheels installed on the car.

Link for ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool

Couple comments from the auction ad:

TPMS Sensor by Denso®. Torque: 35 in-lbs, 4 N·m. When a TPMS Sensor fails, you’ll want to replace it easily with a Denso First Time Fit TPMS sensor. Unlike one-size-fits-all sensors, Denso has developed sensors that never need to be programmed or cloned before installation – they’re built to the specified vehicle right out of the box. With Denso , installation is a snap — our TPMS Sensors relearn just like an OE part, restoring the vehicle to its original condition.

Notes:Made in Japan.

Features:

Immediate coverage for applications which cannot be programmed
Tested to OE specifications
10 year battery
OE technology preserves diagnostic trouble codes
Quick, direct-fit installation (no cloning or programming)

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Couple comments from the auction ad:

TPMS Sensor by Denso®. Torque: 35 in-lbs, 4 N·m. When a TPMS Sensor fails, you’ll want to replace it easily with a Denso First Time Fit TPMS sensor. Unlike one-size-fits-all sensors, Denso has developed sensors that never need to be programmed or cloned before installation – they’re built to the specified vehicle right out of the box. With Denso , installation is a snap — our TPMS Sensors relearn just like an OE part, restoring the vehicle to its original condition.

Notes:Made in Japan.

Features:

Immediate coverage for applications which cannot be programmed
Tested to OE specifications
10 year battery
OE technology preserves diagnostic trouble codes
Quick, direct-fit installation (no cloning or programming)

I don't know how that is possible for a Toyota as they only read the four discrete codes stored into the computer for the sensors in the wheels. Without buying sensors with matching codes to your particular truck I'm not sure how this would work.

The rims I just bought were 16" 'take offs' from a 2017 Tacoma, hub measurement 106.1mm the 2006 4Runner hub measurement is 106mm so wondering if this is going to be trouble?

Toyota Wheels

Taco take offs

Well the Taco take-offs came in with some damage so I'll have to pound the lip back on 2 rims..any ideas on how to without ruining the paint finish?

Steel wheel? I'd maybe take a piece of wood cut to a rough radius to use that as a pounding block for a sledge hammer.

Maybe a little masking tape on the lip to help protect a little more. Shouldn't take too much effort. My guess is that the wheel will work and roll fine even if you don't pound it back.

nice looking Toy4, how high?

Somewhere in the shop I have a old hard plastic hammer Ed..looks like the head is made of amber, I'll tape it, put it on the undulation then whack it with a maul a few times, got a raised spoke right there in the swing path to avoid. If I can get through this I'll order brite aluminum dip and darker gray for the large center cap only after that will I pay for TPM sensors..e.bay has the OEM Denso 4/$125..Blows away AAP after -20%

nice looking Toy4, how high?

2.5" in front and 1.5" rear. Bilstein 5100 shocks f & r. Old Man Emu 885 coils in front (because of V8 weight) and Sway-a-Way 1.5 in rear. I think there is a .25" spacer on driver's front to compensate for driver's weight. Its been a while since I installed the setup. Got everything from Wheeler's Off-road Inc. They can even put together the front coils for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back