Heavy duty ball mount required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a risk of a standard 600/6000 pound ball mount failing with excessive tongue weight? Say if your tongue weight was closer to 1000 pounds?

This sounds like a sub par set up but I can't predict exactly how it'd fail. Maybe just through poor handling.

Originally Posted By: Rand
1000lb tongue weight on a bumper pull without weight distro? Yikes!

Truck barely squats. It's not connected to the bumper it has a hitch.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Rand
1000lb tongue weight on a bumper pull without weight distro? Yikes!

Truck barely squats. It's not connected to the bumper it has a hitch.
Factory hitch? They must have beefed those up since they built my '06, mine's not rated that high. I think I would install a gooseneck hitch if I needed to haul 12K-although the Shelton receiver on my GMC is actually rated for that much.

I'm sure I've had a 600/6,000 hitch well over 1,000 lb. tongue weight and it didn't phase it. Now that I tow by my own rules (not by dad's) I'm a little more conservative, but I don't personally worry about a 600/6,000 hitch with any load that can be reasonably hauled on a <20 ft. trailer.

Id look at it this way... If something has a marking of a weight rating, and you get into a collision, where an investigation is necessary, and it is found that you have insufficiently rated components, everything you do will be suspect and those elements will put you under great scrutiny.

Get the items rated properly. How much does a proper ball mount cost to acquire?

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
I'm sure I've had a 600/6,000 hitch well over 1,000 lb. tongue weight and it didn't phase it. Now that I tow by my own rules (not by dad's) I'm a little more conservative, but I don't personally worry about a 600/6,000 hitch with any load that can be reasonably hauled on a div>

I see guys with 3/4 ton trucks towing trailers where the shocks are almost maxed out and I highly doubt they have any special ball hitch. Now they do make heavy duty versions that are like solid steel, so I'll probably go with one of those once I figure out which one levels the trailer good enough. So i'll experiment with the 2 or 3 standard balls I have on hand and go from there I guess. I think the 2" drop ball hitch I had to begin with was probably fine. I'm finding the trailer is about an inch too low in the front and it makes the trailer ramp too steep at times on uneven ground when loading a mower.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id look at it this way... If something has a marking of a weight rating, and you get into a collision, where an investigation is necessary, and it is found that you have insufficiently rated components, everything you do will be suspect and those elements will put you under great scrutiny.

Get the items rated properly. How much does a proper ball mount cost to acquire?

+1 This

Suspect is a kind word. Claim denied is almost certain. I'll bet it's in the fine print of your policy.

Last edited:
Just get a drop hitch and ball with a higher rating. Forget the distribution hitch, you have a big enough truck pulling it. The only fools I see with distribution hitchs are the folks pulling RV trailers with small pickups and suvs. Go to Tractor Supply, they have an excellent selection.

Depends on the hitch.

Tongue weight (on the ball) is "compression" and is not near as important and max towing weight (bending loads).

Tongue weight is more a function of hitch design and rear suspension.

I've pulled a mobile home over 100 miles with my K3500 dually.
Any guesses on max towing weight and tongue weight?

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Just get a drop hitch and ball with a higher rating. Forget the distribution hitch, you have a big enough truck pulling it. The only fools I see with distribution hitchs are the folks pulling RV trailers with small pickups and suvs. Go to Tractor Supply, they have an excellent selection.

That is dumb advice.

Load the trailer better.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So I'll experiment with the 2 or 3 standard balls I have on hand and go from there I guess. I think the 2" drop ball hitch I had to begin with was probably fine.

Go adjustable.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

That is dumb advice.

Load the trailer better.

I think his truck might be lifted - he's trying to figure out how to get a level trailer.
I suggest an adjustable mount - - don't bother with 3-4 different ball mounts.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: PumpPusher

That is dumb advice.

Load the trailer better.

What part is dumb? Maybe he just has a large, heavy load that can't be shifted. Some are like that. 1k on the nose is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back