Oil is at least 17 months old, change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought my wife a 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata. It is used with only 2,020 miles on it, but was bought by the original owner in March of 2016. Should I change the oil?

Yes, because you do not know how the previous owner drove the vehicle. Then just follow the Mazda's recommendations.

I'm all for the going the full interval even on FF. But the one year mark comes into play here. Change it.

Iirc, Mazda's oil change regimen is 6 months or 7,500 miles for most driving conditions, whichever comes first. So, if the warranty isn't trashed already, I'd change it asap and go by those guidelines.

Even if the warranty wasn't a consideration you don't know if those 2,020 miles accumulated with constant short-tripping or not so a change would be in order. And, it's a direct-injection engine so potential fuel dilution is yet another incentive to change now.

I think your Mazda has the option to deviate from a simple months/miles schedule to one following an intelligent oil life monitor, but it has to be selected by the owner. You may want to consider this going forward.

Last edited:
The car could be almost 2 years by now from date on manufacture. My 99 Ford the first owner took delivery in September of 98.
$25 is cheap piece of mind

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the replies. I just had back surgery 2 days ago, so I will bring it to my mechanic. Gonna put Castrol Magnatech in it.

Always change the oil on a used car no matter what the previous owner or dealer says. My dad swore the tires on the truck I bought from him were new and they looked new. They had few miles on them but they were a number of years old and needed to be replaced soon. He wasn't lying but he didn't remember what he thought he did

Originally Posted By: slimjim
OK, thanks for the replies. I just had back surgery 2 days ago, so I will bring it to my mechanic. Gonna put Castrol Magnatech in it.

Good luck on recovery. Castrol oil you chose should do it very well.

Doesn't the car have a Mazda new car warranty attached? You may want to call the dealer. If so, you will have to go by their schedule. I'm all for changing either case.

I agree with PimTac. Check and see what is required for the warranty on the car. Castrol is a very good oil as other members have said. And like bioburner said.. good luck with your recovery. No baths at all, only showers, if you start having any surgical site issues like extra drainage see your doctor asap.

Id look at the date of manufacture on the decal on the car. If change before 24 months past that date.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much. Im very convinced that a decent syn can last 2 years in a modern engine without issue.

The mileage isn't of concern unless the PO raced the car or idled it for thousands of hours without going anywhere. I suspect neither happened given that its a miata and you haven't mentioned auto crossing or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back