6 month oil change interval question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3 year old 4 cyl Toyota Camry with 5500 miles on it, Ive been using 0w/20 Mobil 1 & Wix filters at 6 month intervals since new. Lately I've read of possible sludge problems doing this. Is this a problem or am I OK, this is my wifes car. Wondering if I'd be better off using cheaper oil at 3 month intervals. I'm 73 years old and like the 6 month deal if its OK.

Your car has 5500 miles on it? How many miles on an oil change? 0w20 M1 syn could go a year, likely more with no adverse effects. I would do a once a year change. Sludge claims are nonsense for a 6 month interval.

If you're only putting 5500 miles on over 3 years just change it annually. Toyota service interval is 12 months or 10,000 miles. No need to be worried about sludge with a quality oil like you're running especially with so little usage.

No issues with that. On a side note, if you are doing your trips in 3 or 4 mile increments, you might want to get the car up to temperature a few times a month especially during the winter to drive off moisture.

Originally Posted By: mtlineman
Ive been using 0w/20 Mobil 1

I see no reason for you to use synthetic oil if your averaging 1800 miles a year. Buy a name brand conventional and $5 filter and change once a year.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: mtlineman
Ive been using 0w/20 Mobil 1

I see no reason for you to use synthetic oil if your averaging 1800 miles a year. Buy a name brand conventional and $5 filter and change once a year.

This

From what I have read here and other places the sludge issue was resolved with the newer engines.
I do concur with others in that car could use a good run or two a month to get everything to normal temps

I just changed out my M1 oil yesterday after 14 months and 1,120 miles. If I used name brand conventional oil like PYB, GTX, VWB, M5K...it might have saved me $3 on the total oil change cost. Not a big deal. And I prefer the better protection synthetic offers if/when I drive the car hard.

Use Mobil I 0W-30, Denso oil filter and change them twice a year. Don't consider mileage. Maybe overdoing it but you won't have sludge. Replace the PCV valve every three years when you replace the air filter.
smile.gif

5500 miles in 3 years means you're dumping M1 every 6 months that has less than a thousand miles on it!
crazy2.gif

At least push it out to 12 months...even that is major overkill.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Use Mobil I 0W-30, Denso oil filter and change them twice a year. Don't consider mileage. Maybe overdoing it but you won't have sludge. Replace the PCV valve every three years when you replace the air filter.
smile.gif

Why use 0w30 instead of 0w20?

....and don't forget a long drive to grandmother's house every month or so.

Next look at your tire pressures, cooling system and don't forget battery maintenance.

Sounds like your car should be 55 percent through its first oci. No sludge has ever developed in any of my vehicles from using oil fills for multiple years. But do get it hot once in a while, like previously stated.

6 months or 5,000 miles full synthetic in everything I own or have owned recently. I have never had any issue following this interval system. Stick with it and you ate good to go.

Oil companies have been scaring folks for generations to get extra sales and unnecessary oil changes!

Sludge is produced with excessive engine blow-by, short trips in cold weather, etc, in cars
made after the 90's sludge is rare compared to cars and oils from the 60's & 70's!

I have a Sunday driver stored in the garage where the oil was not changed for 8-9 yrs! The oil
analysis showed the oil was still OK with a TBN 3.8! and low contamination!

With your driving style and distance you can stretch it to a year, no prob!

Forgot to add, vehicle is in Montana with very cold winter temps is why I do the 6 month oil changes, April & November. Do I need to still do this ? Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
I'd run a quality synthetic oil and change it once a year. Even that would be overkill to many of us. You could probably go 18 months or more safely.

Does the car have an on-board oil life monitor? I would not hesitate to follow that. Otherwise, I would personally do a yearly change which is probably still way conservative if you're really averaging ~1800mi per year.. No reason to worry about the cold temps in regards to the oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back