Has Ford switched back to 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom just bought a used '16 Fusion with the 2.0 Ecoboost and it specs 5W30. My boss has a '15 E-series cutaway with the 5.4L and it too specs 5W30.

Has Ford dropped the 5W20 spec or is it just unique to the Ecoboost and 5.4 engines?

Seems they have moved back to 5w30 for most turbo as well as HD applications....

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What....? A manufacturer thinks oil can be TOO thin? What will the thinsters say?

Heresy! Burn them at the stake!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Just kidding, I use both 20 and 30 weight oils depending upon the vehicle and operating conditions or what I FEEL like using
grin.gif

Whimsey

I would suspect the push to extend OCIs plays a big role in this change. 30 weight oil will take longer to shear to critical levels, thus be more capable over the long term. Ford is all about the 10k/1year OCI.

Last edited:
Yes this was discussed a week or two ago. Ford just moved away from thin oils in some instances. Funny how no one is claiming "Ford knows best! Ford is a genius!" like many did when they moved to 5w-20 years ago. This is an admittance by Ford that a thicker oils adds protection.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4464093/Re:_Why_did_Ford_go_from_5W20_#Post4464093

The first line in Wikipedia describes Ford with decent accuracy - and should one repeat the process with a few other large multinational companies - one would see similar results ...

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Yes this was discussed a week or two ago. Ford just moved away from thin oils in some instances. Funny how no one is claiming "Ford knows best! Ford is a genius!" like many did when they moved to 5w-20 years ago. This is an admittance by Ford that a thicker oils adds protection.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4464093/Re:_Why_did_Ford_go_from_5W20_#Post4464093

How can you possibly say that? j/k

A lot of us mere mortals made the move from a 20 grade to a 30 grade oil as well, so Ford is in good company. Sometimes you have to admit you were wrong and move on.
28.gif

Indeed - And my ecoboost is running M1 5w40 ... like many engines do in other parts of the non CAFE world...
No need to spend money on an UOA to find it might have sheared to a 30 ... that's fine if it did ...

4WD, I'm there with you! Been using Edge 0w40 for most of my 'Boosts life and it loves it.
I have an Ecoboost in a 2017 Expedition, so it'll be 5w30 for a while, then strait to the Edge!

If Ford would of had some sort of standard, maybe they would of fared better. But you could put the cheapest 5w20 and it was OK. It seems other auto manufacturers just specified 0w20 to have better oil.

Sorry for repeating something recently discussed. I'm not here every day.

Anyway, I understand the thicker spec for turbo engines. It was the 5.4L that I found interesting after years of the 5W20 spec. A 5.4L in an E-series cutaway work truck is going to be run hard its whole life, so I can definitely see the benefit to thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
But what about the "flow"...???

Limited Between "excessively tight clearances"?!? ..... Never were any!

The 1.0 EcoBoost is still on 5w-20 for 2017. They even added 0w-20 for 2017.

Last edited:
I do like taking the Matrix to the Ford dealer for oil changes, tire installs, rotations, etc versus the Toyo dealer or just about anywhere else for that matter. They're not super friendly but polite, straight shooters, take their time, reasonably priced, don't feel ripped off. Feel more comfortable with the techs there versus WM. Not as many frills as the Toyo dealer(pastry, fish aquarium, car wash) but they don't nickel and dime like the Toyo dealer. Honda dealer was equally as good as Ford but more friendly. Ford dealer just added free coffee.

I like getting the MC 5w30 syn-blend oil and filter for $25 with inspection. No more MC filters, now using an Omnicraft one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back