Cleaning Up Aluminum wheels on my 97 F-350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, yesterday I decided I wanted to get the terrible looking black rattlecan paint job off my wheels, I orignally tried using some lacquer thinner and some elbow grease, but it was taking forever. So I ran over to Valu, and grabbed some paint stripper and this is what was underneath, Imgur album containing my rims

So as you can see, there are some rough spots which is probably why he painted them, but even so I like the look a lot better, but I want to at least try to get some of this out. This is where I need your help, I don't know where to begin but if I had to guess, high grit sand paper, and a good buffer with some polishing compund.

I really didn't want to use stripper, but he used a primer underneath and it really didn't want to come off, I spent a good half hour and 6 rags on a 2inX6in spot using lacquer thinner. Yes there are a few spots where the paint didn't yet come off, but i have a soft plastic razor I'll take to it.

Gorgeous truck my man, I wish mine were clean, just got done painting over rot holes yesterday to postpone the inevitable, hopefully next year I can get some patch panels

Seeing your rusted out bed gives me the heebie-jeebies.
crazy2.gif
(Former NW Pa guy). Finding a polisher at a truck stop sounds like a fine idea but how would you keep them nice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back