Purolator P1 PL14459, 12,600 miles CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks. This Purolator P1 filter was on my friends car for 12,600 miles. Two oci's with QSUD 5w30 and car is a 2014 Hyundai Elantra hatchback. He delivers pizza and works at NAPA we deal with at work. Car odometer is 122,345. Put on a TG 3593A as he snagged last two of these for $1 at Wal Mart. Put more QSUD 5w30 in as well
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Peter_480
It's a Purolator so someone has to ask - any tears in the media?
wink.gif

No, none that I could see. I still don't trust Purolators. Which is why I'm using my last MC FL-910S for 5k

Originally Posted By: car51
wink.gif

No, none that I could see. I still don't trust Purolators. Which is why I'm using my last MC FL-910S for 5k

I'm also a 910S user for my Fusion, but it seems the 910 has not has the tearing issues. I have a supply of Wix/Carquest I'm going to be using from now on so I won't be using the 910 for a few years once that's depleted anyway, but I'd still trust a 910 based on what I've read here.

wink.gif

And-any cuts in the backside of the ADBV from the baseplate? Your last picture looked a little funky, like maybe there were slices? Otherwise, looked pretty good, much better than average Puro.

They will have to up their game since they are making some Toyota filters now like the YZZG2. I think there are others too.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
They will have to up their game since they are making some Toyota filters now like the YZZG2. I think there are others too.

They make MOPAR OEM black filters but center tubes have "holes"

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
wink.gif

And-any cuts in the backside of the ADBV from the baseplate? Your last picture looked a little funky, like maybe there were slices? Otherwise, looked pretty good, much better than average Puro.

Here's a better pic of ADBV. No slices just nubs on ADBV

Thanks for the better picture of the ADBV I would've sworn it was cut looking at it through the base plate in your pictures. Your friend got a great deal on those TG filters! Will he run the TG for 2x OCI as well?

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Thanks for the better picture of the ADBV I would've sworn it was cut looking at it through the base plate in your pictures. Your friend got a great deal on those TG filters! Will he run the TG for 2x OCI as well?

Yeah, he runs the QSUD 5w30 to 7,500~ and knows the Tough Guard is a great filter. I told him to check the Wal Mart close to my work as I saw 6 TG 3593A filters there for $1/each
wink.gif

2 ocis to ~12.6k miles. Owner apparently not concerned about any potential issues with Puro, or uninformed of tear rep. Either way, what I can see and information provided this one looks to have done it's job over the substantial fci.

Thanks for c&p.

wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif
I don't trust them either. Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif
I don't trust them either. Thanks for the pics.

You're welcome sir and Sayjac; yeah he wasn't aware of the "tearing epidemic"

Same here - and what a shame - MC used to be one of the best made for the price filters.

This newer Puro One looks a bit different. The holes are farther out from center than the ones that were getting adbv cuts. But it doesn't have the inward adbv neck that sits in the end cap hole like other Puro's with round holes. The adbv has those ribs, don't remember that, and the baseplate is concave. For the miles used nothing to complain about for the owner. Must be the Hyundai version is a bit different than some others.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
This newer Puro One looks a bit different. The holes are farther out from center than the ones that were getting adbv cuts. But it doesn't have the inward adbv neck that sits in the end cap hole like other Puro's with round holes. The adbv has those ribs, don't remember that, and the baseplate is concave. For the miles used nothing to complain about for the owner. Must be the Hyundai version is a bit different than some others.

This ADBV looks more concave on the base plate side, and the 4 ribs helps keep all but the outer circumference lip from contacting the base plate. Maybe Purolator changed the ADBV design to fix the hole cutting issue.

On my Mazda, I used scads of white Purolator 14459, the similar slightly longer version (24458?), earlier equivalents, and never saw a tear in the ones I cut apart (or any other serious problems). I normally ran them three oil changes, roughly 18,000 miles apiece. That was all before the tearing "epidemic," or at least before I heard about it. Has anyone found tears in those sizes?

I got purolator made oil filters in my mazda chrysler and ford.
No problems yet
smile.gif

Fingers crossed
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back