Question about Champ made filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a case of Castrol SFX synthetic blend filters made by Champion Labs: the CAS7317 fits my Honda, Infiniti and former Subaru. Usage on the Outback was fine. But after 2,000 miles on the Honda I noticed some seepage from the oil filter gasket. I always hand tighten 3/4 to a full turn. When I noticed the leak, I used a wrench to tighten it another 1/4 turn. Is this small leak just a question of needing an extra little turn or would it be a defective gasket?

Something I really like about the Nissan and Honda OEM filters is that they both have that "recessed lip" type gasket instead of the traditional flat gasket. Seems to me the recessed one would just mate up and seal better.

How old are the filters?
smile.gif

Many Japanese OEM filters have the gasket aquariuscsm described.

Wix actually has two part numbers for this filter fitment, 51356 and 57356. The 51356 is an older part number that they all used at one point, but some people reported leaks when using that 51356, mostly in Hondas. So Wix created the 57356, which is the same except for a slightly different base plate that leaves more room between the thread and the gasket, which solved the issue. Most cars, such as Honda and Nissan, moved the the 57356; while the 51356 is still spec'd for Mitsubishi and some OPE/small engine applications

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How old are the filters?
smile.gif

Many Japanese OEM filters have the gasket aquariuscsm described.

Wix actually has two part numbers for this filter fitment, 51356 and 57356. The 51356 is an older part number that they all used at one point, but some people reported leaks when using that 51356, mostly in Hondas. So Wix created the 57356, which is the same except for a slightly different base plate that leaves more room between the thread and the gasket, which solved the issue. Most cars, such as Honda and Nissan, moved the the 57356; while the 51356 is still spec'd for Mitsubishi and some OPE/small engine applications

Thanks for the info on Wix. The Castrol filters were made in 07/2015. The gasket measurements on the CAS7317 and the Fram Ultra 7317 are identical. I'm guessing my Castrol filter just needed an extra quarter turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back