Choosing between 2 Bluetooth ODB scanner for droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choosing a Bluetooth ODB2 scanner for Android: BAFX 34t5 vs BlueDriver Professional

Sorry for the abrupt title, but there is a short character limit.

So, I am looking for a Bluetooth-enabled ODB2 scanner for use with Android phones, and after reading a few dozen sites and reviews, I have narrowed it down to two:

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/

And

BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/

The first one I have to admit is much more appealing simply because it's considerably cheaper, $20 compared to the $100 the other goes for, yet is apparently still of pretty good quality, being 1st or 2nd place in most lists for some of the best Bluetooth ODB2 scanners. Although it doesn't come with it's own app, but is compatible with most 3rd party apps. Most to all of the good 3rd party apps appear to not be free, so that's an additional cost right there, though still overall cheaper than the BlueDriver.

The BlueDriver one appeals to me because it can scan additional codes for ABS, Airbags, Transmission, etc that the majority of the others cannot. However, it can only use it's own official app, the manufacturers have stated that it is not compatible with any 3rd party apps, and seem to be defensive about reviews (E.G. having updated the product description to claim the negative reviews from when there was apparently some in-app purchase does not count). This worries me a bit since it seems like the majority of the cost is because of the app, and they are pretty adamant about locking you into it... which could be problematic if it's not that good. However, it does support features the others do not and in most lists that did mention it, it scored higher than the BAFX one, which usually came in second place compared to it.

Any suggestions? The BAFX one is considerably cheaper, but no official app and lack of ABS or additional statistics is a bit of a downer, but the BlueDriver one is considerably more expensive, and while it's app is apparently good... you would also be locked into it with no alternatives.

A few years ago I bought one of the ones that has the orange and purple label ones off of ebay or amazon for $11 and it seems to work great with Torque on several generations of android phones.

If they look the same except the label they're probably the same device. I haven't used the software that came with it.

Last edited:
If you go the cheaper route, I agree that the BAFX unit seems to have better quality control ratings.

It seems that the Blue Driver only does the enhanced codes (ABS, etc.) for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Toyota. The Lemur website has a vehicle compatibility search function here: http://www.lemurmonitors.com/index.html?p=FAQ#FAQ

Good luck with a tough decision. The key question is if you want more than generic global OBDII capabilities. Unfortunately, at every price point there are pros and cons to consider.

I recently went with an Autel Diaglink ($87) that scans ALL systems. It is marketed as the DIY version of the Autel MD802. Its drawback is that I have to buy additional vehicle brand software ($10 ea.) beyond the one free mfg. that comes with it. That suits my situation fine.

I have both of those. And prefer the Bluedriver.

The BAFX is the best of the cheaper ones, but the bludriver is much better.
The BlueDriver can read alot more modules than the BAFX and torque.

If you are looking for just basic info (air mix coolant temp etc) and CEL codes BAFX. If you want to read more info, then the Bluedriver is the way to go.

If you have a GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota or BWM in north america, the Bluedriver is the choice, because it reads all modules.

On my ford bafx 25 bucks from amazon together with 5buck pro torque works like a charm. Able to read tranny temp which was pleasant surprise.

I would consider WiFi version.

My Google Pixel XL will not work with any bluetooth OBD2 I have.

This one works great:
https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Diagnostic-Android-Windows-Database/dp/B072JLWMK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501446746&sr=1-1&keywords=WIFI+OBD2+Scanner%2C+OBD+II+Code+Reader+Car+Diagnostic+Tool+for+Check+Engine%2C+Smart+with+IOS%2C+Android+%26+Windows+Device

what do you get for your extra $75 with the BlueDriver? I see absolutely no extra functionality as compared to Torque Pro. I have never understood why anybody would purchase BlueDriver.

I mean it is not as if you are getting 2-waqy capability or manufacturer specific PID support. It is a generic OBD-II reader.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
what do you get for your extra $75 with the BlueDriver? I see absolutely no extra functionality as compared to Torque Pro. I have never understood why anybody would purchase BlueDriver.

I mean it is not as if you are getting 2-waqy capability or manufacturer specific PID support. It is a generic OBD-II reader.

As I mentioned in my initial post:
Quote:
it can scan additional codes for ABS, Airbags, Transmission, etc that the majority of the others cannot

The problem I have with the BlueDriver on top of the price, is that it is only compatible with it's own app and you can't use a 3rd party app.

I have four OBDII readers; my workhorse system is my BAFX ELM327 unit (used with Torque Pro). Among the others, I have a ~$200 Innova 3160 that I've used exactly twice in the past ~4.5 years; I've only needed it to read ABS and SRS codes. The BAFX/Torque Pro combo does every thing else better than the Innova. (The other two units I have are simple, inexpensive code readers that are fast but have limited functionality).

If I had to pick only one, it'd be the BAFX unit with Torque Pro. The value of good OBD Live data as a diagnostic tool cannot be overstated, and Torque Pro's ability to customize the way the data is displayed is amazing.

My advice: Go with the BAFX 34t5/Torque Pro combo unless you specifically need ABS ability right now. Even if you have to upgrade to another unit later to do ABS, you will find yourself coming back to the BAFX unit and Torque Pro any time you don't need ABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back