Bad experiences with a particular oil brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you people here can say they had 1 or several bad experiences with a particular brand of oil ?

If there is something I have learned from reading this great forum. It is that all the major brands make good oil. Therefore I have used most of the major well known brands. All with great result..except 1 brand...Castrol . Castrol is probertly the most available oil brand here in Denmark where I live. All logic says it is great products, and still I have had bad experience with it several times. All on cars running perfect before.

1 time. 4 cylinder Hyundai CRDI engine. Developing timing chain noise within 5000 km after change. Had bin running on shell oil it's entire life before.

2 time. Opel corsa 1.4 petrol. Shaves off two lobes on the intake camshaft after 2000 Km.car has bin using liqui moly before

3 Mazda 6 1.8 MZR engine.. again it developed timing chain noise within 5000 km.

4 Renault Megane 1.6. Had VVT gear failure after 2000 km. Used valvoline before.

5 Suzuki swift 1.2 VVT. First oil change I used magnatec 0w-20( the engine specs 0w-20 ) the. Engine became extremely noisy during the first 2000 km. Especially the valvetrain was way more noisy. Went back to factory fill Total quartz future 0w-20. And th engine was running smooth again.

I no idea why I have so bad experience with Castrol... but I have come to a point where I feel no need to test my luck any further.

Anybody else have experienced the same with Castrol or any other brand?

Have a nice day.

Søren

Mobil1 0w40 increased valve train noise 10 fold in the Scirocco.

Triple QX 10w40 seems to evaporate very quickly after the first 5000 miles.

How many total kilometers on all of those vehicles?? Any known motor issues with any of them??

Hard to believe Castrol had anything to do with all of those problems. Unless you happened to get a total batch of very bad oil that either had no additives aka API SA oil or was just some type of base oils which were not the right right viscosity at all.

I am not saying that I don't believe you. Just very, very strange. Some oils do run a bit quieter than others in certain vehicles.

I haven't had any "bad experiences" with a particular brand of national-market oil, but I've had better experiences than average with some specific brands. You are right that a Major Oil Company oil is pretty much good stuff; it's just getting an appropriate duty & viscosity that matters mostly.

Originally Posted By: shDK
All logic says it is great products, and still I have had bad experience with it several times. All on cars running perfect before.

I certainly cannot explain it. Are you the Danish Arco?
wink.gif

No. My bad Luck is limited to the use of that one brand. But I Guess it is just bad Luck. And not the brands fault.

I've had bad luck with Valvoline- Pontiac Grand Am seized. Other than that, never had bad luck with any other of their products such as the Steering wheel fluid or Zerex

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I've had bad luck with Valvoline- Pontiac Grand Am seized. Other than that, never had bad luck with any other of their products such as the Steering wheel fluid or Zerex

The engine seized because of the Valvoline?

To the OP, having that many bad experiences with one brand of oil sounds astounding. You should have stopped using Castrol surely after the second incident. I've not had any bad luck with oil other than a certain brand of oil made one of my engines noisy in the the valvetrain. A friend of mine had wax in his Pennzoil but that was in the early 80's.

Correlation is not always causality...

The other common factor in these five failures is you...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

To the OP, having that many bad experiences with one brand of oil sounds astounding. You should have stopped using Castrol surely after the second incident.

Agree. Why would anyone give it a 3rd test?

Pennzoil yellow bottle disappears off the dipstick very quickly every time I use it.

Mobil clean 5000 caused a valve cover leak in a 3 year old Toyota with 40K miles. Changed the oil and the valve cover leak "repaired" itself. I guess that stuff REALLY cleans.

This is going to draw plenty fake news from biased reporters - it has already started.

I used valvoline back in the 80s and early 90s. I lost many camshafts to that oil. Oe ones and aftermarket ones. Many in my small block chevies,1 in my 302 ford and 2 in 318,340 dodges.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Correlation is not always causality...

The other common factor in these five failures is you...

Agreed...it ain't the oil.
I've used Castrol products on and off over the years and never found them to be better or worse than any other oil.
Heck, back in the day GTX was considered the go-to oil among import owners.

In my experiences if a vehicle uses oil it will use a significantly higher amount between changes on Motorcraft/Trop Arctic than with Valvoline or Pennzoil. A non issue on many vehicles but as they age I've switched oils because of it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Pennzoil yellow bottle disappears off the dipstick very quickly every time I use it.

Mobil clean 5000 caused a valve cover leak in a 3 year old Toyota with 40K miles. Changed the oil and the valve cover leak "repaired" itself. I guess that stuff REALLY cleans.
Never had an engine failure attributed to oil but I changed the oil in my SAAB 900 to Pennziol 10-30 on one occasion and the engine smoked and burned it until I replaced it (quickly) with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: PimTac

To the OP, having that many bad experiences with one brand of oil sounds astounding. You should have stopped using Castrol surely after the second incident.

Agree. Why would anyone give it a 3rd test?

I never said all the cars where mine..or that I bought the oil and did the oil change. I said I had bad experiences. Only 2 of the cars where mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back