IMRC on Ford engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody school me on Intake manifold runner control on a Ford 4.2L V6? Daughter's 05 F150 is stalling out occasionally when idling in drive. Only dtc is P2006 "Intake manifold runner control stuck closed bank1." Would this cause a potential stall? What the heck is it?

It might affect full throttle power (They open up over 3000 RPM)
...but will not ever affect "stalling out occasionally when idling in drive"

I might have to look at the throttle body on my expedition.
Its never been cleaned and its at 181k miles.
I do hear a purring sound esprcially when idling and low rpm only when i am in the expe but cannot be hearx on the outside. I dont know if this is normal since lot of bitog members say their car is purring good. Funny but being serious at same time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Can anybody school me on Intake manifold runner control on a Ford 4.2L V6? Daughter's 05 F150 is stalling out occasionally when idling in drive. Only dtc is P2006 "Intake manifold runner control stuck closed bank1." Would this cause a potential stall? What the heck is it?

Do those things have a multi-stage intake manifold? On one of my older Fords, it did have an IMRC because the intake manifold was two stage; there was a vacuum line that would change the runners for low versus high RPM power.

If there is a problem there, it could cause a stall since it is starving the engine of air.

It cant starve the engine of air at idle because its function is to block off the short, fat intake manifold runners deigned for high-rpm power so the engine draws though the always open long thin runners that prefer torque. If they are stuck the engine will just be more of a dog than it usually is.

So might be worth fixing but shouldn't be causing a stall. Dang. Guess I'll have to start diagnosing the hard way.

I changed the IMRC bushings in my E150 when I changed the isolator bolts. The $.50 Dorman bushings don't fit. If you have to change the bushings get the $7 Ford bushings. Supposedly they brake. They are plastic and get brittle over time.

On the E150 the IMRC is simple to get to and inspect. From what I heard, it is almost impossible on the F150. It is bolted on the rear of the intake manifold. Just a small device to actuate two link arms that turn shafts going through the intake manifold. Maybe you can feel back there to see if the linkage is still attached. Or get a mirror and look. If the linkage is not connected, you should be able to hear them rattling around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back