Kubota do not use oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

So my non-emissions Kubota 7040 tractor says use a bunch of acceptable specs but DO NOT use CJ-4 engine oil because it is for DPF type engines and "cannot be used on this tractor."
Rotella 15-40 is what I've always used and what the dealer said was OK.....but I finally read the owner's manual 2 years later.
If the CF/CI type acceptable ratings are on the bottle WITH the CJ-4 rating does it matter???
I've already put 165 hours on the tractor with no visible problem.
Thanks,
Von

If you go to the Tractorbynet web site, you will find many discussions about this. If I remember correct, most believe that the "no CJ4 oil in Kubotas" was a blunder inspired by the idea that Kubota sells tractors around the world and CJ4 was not suitable in some countries due to fuel quality, etc.. Something to that effect: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/186236-final-answer-kubota-cj-4-a.html

Its all a moot point now. The following link is the NEW, current Kubota recommendation. At the bottom it says that is supersedes all recommendations as of May, 2012.

http://www.kubota.com/service/LubricantMaintenance.aspx

DIESEL ENGINE OIL:
EGR Type................................API Classification

Interim Tier4 and Newer ........CJ-4 Required**
External EGR ......................... CJ-4, CI-4**
Non-EGR............................... CJ-4, CI-4, CH-4**

**As of May 2012 this information supersedes all previous publications regarding the use of CJ-4

THAT's what I needed.
grin.gif
Thanks so much. Von

If CJ oil is good enough for a Powerstroke with HPOP and HEUI system,

...... then how could it NOT be good enough for a Kubota?

Which one "works the oil" harder?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
If CJ oil is good enough for a Powerstroke with HPOP and HEUI system,

...... then how could it NOT be good enough for a Kubota?

Which one "works the oil" harder?

The Kubota.
smile.gif

Its good to pay attention to details like this. Ag. and grounds equipment manufacturers seem to make numerous mistakes in their owners manuals about lube specifications. I know someone who ruined a diesel engine by putting plain automotive type coolant in it. I remember back around 1996 when I purchased a case of 10W30 oil for my workplace Kubota and on the box it stated for the first time "For Use in Gasoline Engines Only". What the heck? Yep, thats when they took the "C" diesel rating off all the "regular" oils and a telephone inquiry confirmed that the additive levels were no longer suitable for diesel engines.

Doesn't exactly make sense, CJ-4 is proclaimed backward compatible, far as counties that use high sulphur diesel, the TBN is the same in both CI-4 and CJ-4, only change is the add pack, CI-4 1500ppm ZInc / CJ-4 1200ppm Zinc.

Slightly more anti wear in CI-4.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Doesn't exactly make sense, CJ-4 is proclaimed backward compatible, far as counties that use high sulphur diesel, the TBN is the same in both CI-4 and CJ-4, only change is the add pack, CI-4 1500ppm ZInc / CJ-4 1200ppm Zinc.

Slightly more anti wear in CI-4.

Tbn of ci4 ci4 plus was commonly 12 they backed it down to 10 with cj4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back