Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
I don't know if anyone else has used it here, but I used it on the Caprice and Truck.
Love it! Works great. So much easier than traditional clay and got the same results I would get from standard clay.
I will try to get better photos tomorrow. Malibu is next.

Some dust on the truck in this one, but this after one clay bar 2.0 session and one coat of wax.

So I had to look up this product. Can you comment what do you think of using that holder/rubber pad as opposed to a traditional dollop of clay and why it is easier? Isn't it more difficult to use on edges and the like where the holder doesn't obviously conform to shapes like traditional clay? The "speed" concept isn't an issue for me as I never let my cars go to the point that I need to spend a lot of time. A quick pass over all the surfaces is all my cars need and I can do one of my cars with traditional clay in probably 30-45 minutes.

No kneading the clay or spraying a lubricant. Just dunk in the soapy water and use it. Rinse a few times a panel and hose off. I had no problem having it conform to any of the edges. The vehicles just need a quick pass as they were not that bad. I am very happy with how it worked having used traditional clay for years.

I've used the Clayzilla one from Surf City at Walmart and liked it. Another benefit is if you drop it on the ground just dunk it in soapy water rinse. With traditional clay you have to throw it away. Plus a company I like Mothers a lot. They stand behind their products unlike many other detailing companies.

Have you considered ditching clay for Nanoskin Auto Scrub? Does the same thing as clay but is reusable and has far fewer drawbacks (e.g. if you drop it, you can just rinse it and keep going).

Originally Posted By: dparm
Have you considered ditching clay for Nanoskin Auto Scrub? Does the same thing as clay but is reusable and has far fewer drawbacks (e.g. if you drop it, you can just rinse it and keep going).

??? huh
isnt the mothers product being discussed basically the same category of next gen rubbersheets that "clay" that nanoskin put out?

so this is like bringing up zaino as being the latest and greatest polymer wax technology when now all the old guard companies have polymer waxes avail

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: dparm

??? huh
isnt the mothers product being discussed basically the same category of next gen rubbersheets that "clay" that nanoskin put out?

so this is like bringing up zaino as being the latest and greatest polymer wax technology when now all the old guard companies have polymer waxes avail

Oh wow, you're right -- it is very similar. Glad to see this sort of stuff coming through the mainstream.

yea there's several options for the rubber attached to a mitt or block of foam now.

Search clay mitt and you can see several hits instead of just one.

Still, mainly from the boutique detail suppliers, but that's to be expected as claying was always a boutique item and boutique technique to begin with (you had to shop around even to find the traditional mothers/meguiars clay kits in brick and mortar).

Mother's seems to have fully embraced it as I've seen TV commercials for speedclay 2.0 too.
Let's see if Meguiars as the other big name also follows suit and launches a product.
Interestingly, EagleOne is an OTC name also sells a clay mitt, and I don't think they previously had a traditional claybar product.

Perhaps because the new technique is more foolproof, more companies will take it up. Competition is always good.

Last edited:
Haven't used Mothers Speed Clay, but I do love the Chem Guy's clay mitt. It's not perfect. If fact there's less tactile feel. You want to gently move the clay across the paint and feel/hear when it's smooth. Very easy to do with clay bar. With the CG mitt, you can't feel it at all, so you go by sound, but since the mitt is large that's hard to hear too. So it's hard to tell how good you got it. Only way for me to really tell is to use clay bar afterward.

But guess what? Even though I'm using clay mitt, then check up with clay bar, It's still miles faster than clay bar alone. By the way, I ended up remove all additionally foam from the CG clay mitt. I basically cut it up so that's it's more of a clay fabric than a mitt.

Regardless, I do like how fast the mitts make work of claying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back