15000 mile file for Powerstroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that recently CarQuest Blues were being made by Affinia again. If that is true, it is synthetic wire backed media and I doubt you could find better for the price. Otherwise, have a look at Baldwin or Donaldson.

I would think with a diesel engine and the additional soot and dirt they produce you would NOT want to run an oil filter for 2 OCIs. That is an expensive engine and for the price of an oil filter, me personally, would be changing it at every oil change.

Thought your Motorcraft ones had full synthetic media? Seems like those would be hard to beat for the price-M1 ones certainly aren't full synthetic media (unless they've recently changed them). And, they can be bought for in the range of $13, not sure any premium filter is going to be anywhere near that price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I would think with a diesel engine and the additional soot and dirt they produce you would NOT want to run an oil filter for 2 OCIs.

It's the opposite:
The soot is so fine (usually 2 microns or less) that the filter is NEVER a restriction.
They nearly last forever.

Donald has a bypass filter on his truck.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Thought your Motorcraft ones had full synthetic media?
The MC filters that I have cut open that do not have full synthetic media, else they would likely need to be wire backed especially considering the overall length of the media. I personally would not run a MC FL-2051s for any OC much less one for 15K, but that is just me.

Consider the Wix/NG filter for the 6.7L PSD:
beta is: 2/20/75=3/12/17
It's a very good glass enhanced product.
That beta is VERY impressive for a FF filter, and pairing it up with BP would make me believe it will easily last 15k miles.

I am currently running my Dmax at 12k miles on a NG filter. I routinely have no issues taking Wix/NG out to 15k miles.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Looking for best FF for my Powerstroke to go two OLM intervals or roughly 15000. I am thinking the Amsoil EA since it's slightly less than Mobil 1.

Donaldson Blue is one of the best available.

They don’t make a Blue Donaldson for the 6.7 Powerstroke but I recently did a cut and post of a virgin Donaldson for our application. I was impressed. Will have the stock FL2051S being cut open within a week.

I am currently running the Amsoil FF flitter on my truck. I don't hate it and it was 2/3 the price of the motor craft filter. When I get too much money, I'm considering running a stainless full flow filter on my truck and just check it every OLM interval, or every bypass filter change. I feel like full flow filters are mainly a backup just in case something weird gets into the oil, especially with a bypass filter system on the truck and a properly functioning engine.

Kind of surprised they couldn't match up a blue filter by thread size & gasket ID/OD.

The have a non-blue model Donaldson offering with good specs & synthetic media or at least as good if not better than Motorcraft.

Could make for a viable option depending price.

P502503

FILTER SPECIFICATIONS:
Outer Diameter: 3.66 Inches (93 MM)
Thread Size: 1-16
Length: 6.50 Inches (165 MM)
Gasket OD: 2.64 Inches (67 MM)
Gasket ID: 2.44 Inches (62 MM)
Efficiency 50%: 7 Micron
Efficiency 99%: 18 Micron
Efficiency Test Std: ISO 4548-12
Anti Drain Valve: Yes
Media Type: Synthetic