How many years Amsoil EA Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a Gen 2 Mitsu Montero and only drive it a couple thousand miles a year. I've had an Amsoil EA filter on for three years with 5,000 miles. What is the longest I can use it? Time gets me before mileage. This is the longest I've had it on. I appreciate your thoughts........

I've got an old tree branch chipper ("chuck-n-duck") with an Industrial Ford 4-cyl....
It has a Napa 1515 oil filter (same as Wix 51515, same as FL-1A size)

Same oil filter been on it for about 20 years now, not sure.
It gets about an hour or so use per year.

I think you're fine.

It's an Amsoil synthetic filter... For filters with completely synthetic media like your Amsoil filter, you needn't worry about the media disintegrating over time like you might with paper or cellulose-blends. Run it to the full OCI regardless of time. In all honesty that filter could be kept for 15,000 to 20,000 miles, even if that takes you ten years or more. The fully synthetic media will not decay.

You can see my post about it as well even on a semi truck running high miles compared to a vehicle they said run it till it's cold at operating temperature,it stopped up no flow

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
It's an Amsoil synthetic filter... For filters with completely synthetic media like your Amsoil filter, you needn't worry about the media disintegrating over time like you might with paper or cellulose-blends. Run it to the full OCI regardless of time. In all honesty that filter could be kept for 15,000 to 20,000 miles, even if that takes you ten years or more. The fully synthetic media will not decay.

Exactly. Pure synthetic media filters can be run till clogged up, no time mileage since as said, the media does not degrade like cellulose and blend media.
At the time and mileage you are at, I would change the oil, but leave the filter on for at least one more 5000 mile interval (but is probably fine for 2-3 more)

My personal use would indicate otherwise (I just can't seem to make myself not change oil and filter together, although I do not use full synthetic media filters).

I am using PUP. I change my oil under severe usage because I use the 4x4 a small portion. I've had it analyzed and can go beyond 10,000 miles.

I really appreciate the opinions. The filter is protected by skid plate and i live in the desert, so now problem with rust. My truck stays in a garage. Haven't formed an opinion yet, but the Amsoil filters are not cheap. The filter I have is no longer made by Amsoil, it's an oversize version. I may wait a few months....

*Update* I e-mailed Amsoil technician. He stated that both Amsoil oil and filters need to be changed annually. That tells me a lot about their longevity.

I'm disappointed with Amsoil. Using their transmission oil, transfer oil, axle oils, coolant, etc..... If they can't stand behind their products more than a year...WOW! I explained to the rep that I only put a thousand miles a year on the truck. It's kept in the garage....Perhaps, I will change my oil strategy.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Which spin on filters state multiple years?

None that I know of. Just as no oil says more than a year, but we know better
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Which spin on filters state multiple years?

None that I know of. Just as no oil says more than a year, but we know better
thumbsup2.gif

Bob is; after all, THE oil guy.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back