Bad day turned into good day, washing machine died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our beloved, ancient, Jenn-Air Ultra 22 washing machine finally gave up the ghost this past week. The main tub bearing/hub had been failing for months. It progressively growled louder and louder with each spin cycle, eeking it out final breaths of life. I gave it much thought on whether to spend the $$$ to limp the ol' girl along or just shoot her and put her out of her misery. I finally settled on shooting her. Deity bless tannerite!

We picked up a Maytag MVWC416FW, 33% off for $399 at Lowes today. I kinda suspect that the everyday price is $399 but I sure won't complain. Anyhow, I get up front, hand the cashier my fist full of dead presidents (see my credit card theft thread) and she hands me 11% rebate paperwork. SCORE!

My bad week of putting my trusty ol' Jenn-Air washer out of her misery has been made better by getting a new Maytag and scoring a $45 rebate that I had no clue about.

The new Maytag machine is LIGHT YEARS ahead of my ol' beloved Jenn Air. It is unbelievably quiet and spins the clothes and towels way drier than the ol' girl had been doing.

Anyhow, if we do decide to actually send the ol' Jenn Air to meet her deity via tannerite, I will film it for you guys.

You seem just a little bit too attached to a washing machine there buddy...
crazy.gif

We talk about the unwashed (a joke?!) as thinking of cars as appliances....but that IS an appliance!

Just messing, it always stinks to have to replace a reliable, familiar domestic soldier.

Our Maytag we got used in the mid-1990's. Now at 25 yrs old. Still chugging fairly quietly. We will probably get one similar to the OP's someday. No frills, top loader only.

Ha ha we got a heavy duty one.
Thing is ancient.
A fast 20 min wash cycle.
I am afraid to replace it!!!

Our washing machine died 3 years ago and we went out and bought a new GE washer. High efficiency and all that.
I hated it. I hate the new efficiency washers. Guess they are fine if you just wash clothes that you sat at the office in all day or mow the grass in, but if you get dirty, forget about it. It broke down twice, once under warranty, once under my Home Warranty which cost me $75. It broke down again about two weeks ago, now this thing is only 3 years old, it would have cost me $75 deductible to get it fixed. I think it was a belt this time, but last time the repair man was here I told him how I hate these new washers and he said the same thing. Mechanics and wood cutters hate them. Go buy yourself a old used direct drive pre 2000 washer. So this time, I threw it away, went to a used appliance store bought a old Whirlpool from the early 90s for $179 and I love it.
Uses lots of water and lots of soap and I love it. So take your old washer in to a appliance store. They will probably fix it because the old washers are in demand.
The guy said he moved them fast and nothing newer than 2000 in the store.

tannerite-nice.

Not before you remove the tub and make it into a fire pit. Wash tubs make the best fire pits.

UD

This is a high efficiency top loader with an agitator. It seems to clean daily clothes just fine. If I have something I am concerned about getting real grime off of I will visit ye ol' laundromat. Online complaints ding it for noise and cycle length. I couldn't be more impressed with either one. It is literally quieter than our dish washer and cycle lengths seem to be as short and possibly shorter than the Jenn Air.

I have no fantasies about this new Maytag living a long, happy life like my Jenn Air did. I figure 7-10 years and it will be victimized by planned obsolescence of critical repair parts.

Also, the basin & tub are plastic, no fire pits here, sadly.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Our washing machine died 3 years ago and we went out and bought a new GE washer. High efficiency and all that.
I hated it. I hate the new efficiency washers. Guess they are fine if you just wash clothes that you sat at the office in all day or mow the grass in, but if you get dirty, forget about it. It broke down twice, once under warranty, once under my Home Warranty which cost me $75. It broke down again about two weeks ago, now this thing is only 3 years old, it would have cost me $75 deductible to get it fixed. I think it was a belt this time, but last time the repair man was here I told him how I hate these new washers and he said the same thing. Mechanics and wood cutters hate them. Go buy yourself a old used direct drive pre 2000 washer. So this time, I threw it away, went to a used appliance store bought a old Whirlpool from the early 90s for $179 and I love it.
Uses lots of water and lots of soap and I love it. So take your old washer in to a appliance store. They will probably fix it because the old washers are in demand.
The guy said he moved them fast and nothing newer than 2000 in the store.

That is one interesting experience.

They need to realize a lot of us live somewhere where there is no water shortage. While i refuse to water the lawn but there are several who do in my neighborhood.
Guess lawns have all the benefits but not the washing machine. Crazy rules and times.

Working on an old direct drive Whirlpool.Leaking water pump replaced for 15 bucks and 10 minutes.

I have a GE from HH gregg was about 600$ for the set with the electric dryer.

Only thing that the high efficient settings do is make the super load the size of the old large load.. and the large load is medium-small.

Still uses plenty of water.. has center agitator.. works fine.
I was mildly OCD but with the agitator they still work pretty good..
also has a spray rinse and double rinse.. which is great since I am
very sensitive to any detergents left over.. by the water saver type washers.

No water shortage here in ohio.

Meanwhile other relatives have went through 2-3 front loaders in the 800-$1200+ range in the last 10 years. I am sure they clean amazingly and spin the water out better... but man the cost and lack of durability.. and possible smells. I'll take my $300 ge.
If I was going to get spendy I'd probably go speedqueen.

If my water bill tips up a tier from 2000 to 3000 gallons my bill goes up... about $3.50

Did I make it into this thread before anyone mentioned Speed Queen?

I've got an '80s GE washing machine. Works fine. It's old but it works and I won't get rid of it until I have to, because I get great pleasure out of looking at the Univers Condensed Italic corporate typeface on the controls.
Hey, I found the font and installed it! Thanks 04SE, you made my mediocre day into a more interesting day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 04SE
We picked up a Maytag MVWC416FW, 33% off for $399 at Lowes today.

That washer and the other Whirlpool built versions are the replacement for the Direct Drive washers, (aka the "Shredmore").

Apparently, they are decent machines and perform well but they have a very flimsy feel with the wash basket suspended by wires.

However, for under $400 I guess one can't complain much. The Maytag Dependable Care top load washers that can last decades were expensive when new, at least $1000+ in 2017 dollars.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Why tannerite? Just let it eat itself:

This video is GOLD, Jerry! GOLD!

Wife and I don't get that dirty. Front loaders are gentler on clothes. Even the occasional stain comes right out with some Shout or Simple Green pre-treat.

Don't think I'd ever buy a top loader again.

I have plenty of water, I just have to pay for the pumping of it. The Whirlpool front loader works fine and is 8 yrs old . The bearing is getting loud , but I'm getting deafer, so its a wash.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back