Auto Parts Store Idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. It's that time again.

I just called an Advance Auto to get a warranty replacement of an AC condenser and spoke to a real gem.

I began by explaining that I needed to exchange a part under warranty. He asks me for my phone number. I explained to him that my order was an online order, and that it would not pull up under my phone number.

He tells me that I need to call the store I got the part from. Explaining to him that part warranties are nationwide had no effect on him. He insisted warranties are only good at the original store. (False)

I asked him to at least confirm that the part I need is in stock and gave him the part number. He insisted that he cannot look up parts by the part number and needed the year, make, and model. I wasn't trying to be a pain. I've just noticed that these guys tend to get lost when approaching a parts search that way, and it's better to give a part number.

I supplied the information, and he immediately begins telling me what alternators he has available for my truck. I explain to him once again that it is an AC condenser. He looks up the condenser and tells me it has to be ordered. I ask him how long it will take to get. He tells me that he can't give that information until I pay for it. (False. What is this? A Colombian drug deal?)

I finally got fed up with him and decided to make some additional requests:

"I need spark plugs and plug wires for my 2007 Dodge Ram with the 6.7 engine, pushrods for a 2001 Ford Taurus with 3.0 DOHC engine, and a distributor cap and rotor for a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe."

He placed me on hold for about 20 minutes while he went to find everything. I went about my business with him on speakerphone as I he did this.

He came back on the line very frustrated and asked me if I had VIN numbers for those vehicles. I hung up.

Exactly why and how is there no standard for competency in this business at all anymore? This is such a sweet deal for these parts stores that they can thrive while screwing up what must be half of everything they do.

"The best part is our people". Not exactly. Some of these places hire people who are not worthy of even having a job. There are good parts stores where there are good to very good people there. The O Reilly's near me has some very good people there. The Advanced Auto has the worst on average. Sad fact is these places pay $8-9 an hour and somehow expect those people they hire at that pay rate are actually going to be worth a hoot. Plus they expect those people to work part time with no benefits and actually be good or loyal to the employer. The race to the bottom has been going in this country for such a long time. In the last 15 yrs it has expanded to include other jobs and professions. That's why certain messages by certain people play very well to the masses.

The parts stores hire anyone they can get. The give them minimal training and the people depend on their computer catalogs for everything. They are kind of a joke to dealer parts people. Sometimes you get some good ones though. Plus for that the parts stores pay, there is no real incentive to get better or learn.

The dude's incompetent no doubt. I wouldn't have even wasted time making those additional requests. Just order those from their website and pickup in store (hopefully someone else preps the order).

I called Advance the other day to make sure they have Akebono pads in stock for my Pilot (website was saying limited qty). I gave the lady the part # and she looked it up in a jif.

Last edited:
I have had issues with AA a number of times in the past.Everything from not honoring rebates to substituting lesser value items in a special order to counter staff being rude to my wife( I was flat on my back with the flu otherwise there would have been some [censored] raisin at that store.).Which is why they are number 5 on the list of parts stores I patronize.I even know a worker there who offers to use his employee discount for me and I still rarely shop there.screwz'em.

Having said that there are idiots at every parts store.Although the guys at NAPA seem to not be as clueless.....

The trick is...

To go to the dealer with your VIN. If you get the correct OEM part on the first go 'round then the prices (if they're even higher in the first place) aren't that bad, are they?

I have no problem with Advance Auto parts. They just ignore the customers and talk with their buddies so I never go in there.

Buy things online and risk going thru holy h*ll getting a warranty on it.Heaven forbid you buy a battery from Sams Club or BJs and it dies in zero weather and the nearest store is 50 miles away.I buy online,but I don't buy starters/alternators/batteries/radiators....like that.Unless I want to lose $100-200 if something fails and I don't want to go thru the hassle.You get things like that local,where you can get good service.Might pay a little more,but the warranty is piece of mind.(its a sales tool,but I digress).You never know when you might need to use it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
"The best part is our people". Not exactly. Some of these places hire people who are not worthy of even having a job. There are good parts stores where there are good to very good people there. The O Reilly's near me has some very good people there. The Advanced Auto has the worst on average. Sad fact is these places pay $8-9 an hour and somehow expect those people they hire at that pay rate are actually going to be worth a hoot. Plus they expect those people to work part time with no benefits and actually be good or loyal to the employer. The race to the bottom has been going in this country for such a long time. In the last 15 yrs it has expanded to include other jobs and professions. That's why certain messages by certain people play very well to the masses.

That about sums it up. Dealing with them gets old and tiring real fast. What's even worse is more often than not their managers don't know much either. They still make money in spite of themselves, amazing isn't it?

We have ourselves to blame.

These box stores can’t sell you a 200.00 part for 100.00 and still pay, train and retain qualified people.

You want the cheapest price, expect substandard service and probably substandard merchandise.

Problem is every one has been chasing to lowest bidder so long, pretty much everyone except the dealer who isn’t the lowest bidder is defunct.

Wow what a mess. The parts stores here are not too bad,nothin like your story anyway. I have found that the females tend to read the whole screen and ask questions like amp ratings vs a male just quotes the first part that comes up on the screen.

I am old enough to remember when the guys working the counter were retired mechanics and knew what you were asking for.

18.gif

I don't know how AAP, AZ, and the like are staying in business-if you have the ability to wait, Amazon, RA, even Auto Anything, CarID, & eBay are beating their prices, even with discount codes, by a solid 40-50% ALL DAY LONG!!

Should've asked for a water pump for an air cooled VW beetle!

Or any part for an 1983 Corvette (there are none)

I agree with the frustration. I only do basic cheap in a hurry parts at local autoparts stores. I recommend everyone to order parts from Rock Auto. Every brand item they have is a good 50% cheaper than AutoZone or Advance. I've known a few people who worked at AutoZone. Prior to working at AutoZone these guys had zero automotive knowledge. I have dealt with some great guys who have been a big help though. My experience is half and half. It's a hit or miss if you get that guy that needs to know if it's a 2 barrel or 4 barrel for dot 3 brake fluid.

I have a local parts place that serves the professionals. They have like 12 little cars to deliver parts. Those guys aren't geniuses but they're alright.

Bought Wagner quit brake pads and ACDelco rotors off Amazon. Wife couldn't take the squeaking. Changed them out with some no name parts from the local shop. No more squeaks. Wife's happy.

Pick your poison I guess. I can remember the "good ole days" where the local indy part store guy would fat finger a paper parts catalog and order you a wrong part half the time and blame you when it came in.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The trick is...

To go to the dealer with your VIN. If you get the correct OEM part on the first go 'round then the prices (if they're even higher in the first place) aren't that bad, are they?

The prices for too many Ram parts from Chrysler are ridiculous. I could buy a new truck on the cost to do basic repairs.

I've bought quite a bit of factory parts for my trucks, including the larger steering boxes, front end kits, power steering pumps, and alternators, but sometimes their prices are just awful.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
We have ourselves to blame.

These box stores can’t sell you a 200.00 part for 100.00 and still pay, train and retain qualified people.

You want the cheapest price, expect substandard service and probably substandard merchandise.

Problem is every one has been chasing to lowest bidder so long, pretty much everyone except the dealer who isn’t the lowest bidder is defunct.

That sums it up. Walmart culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back