Spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Buick Lesabre 3.8 with 178,000 miles on it. I changed the plugs last night, as it was running a little rough under load going uphill or getting on the highway. I also changed out the fuel filter, which wasnt clogged all the way, but could hardly blow through it. Since those two things were changed it runs great.

When I pulled the plugs out I noticed some discoloration that I have never seen before. Was wondering if any of you guys have seen plugs like these.

If those plugs were in for the full 178,000 miles they did great. The color looks maybe a little lean and it looks like the platinum tip wore down, not surprised though. You got your money's worth out of them
grin.gif

Whimsey

10,000 miles. We bought it used as a training vehicle for my son who will turn 16 in November. I hate to assume anything, but I am assuming with the fuel filter being clogged, it was running in a lean condition off and on, and was probably running like that for a while. I changed the plugs when I bought the car last year.

Originally Posted By: Delta
6th picture down almost looks like the porcelain has cracked.

I noticed that too.

The white porcelain means that they where running hot. Maybe the wrong temperature range... maybe something else like running lean (that would increase the temperature).

Those look pretty bad for 10K miles.

One of the plugs look like it has a lot more oil burn than the others, so that cylinder probably has bad oil rings or oil seal.

That being said, its a beater for your son. As long as it runs ok, I would just run it as is until you trade it in.

Thats a good car for a 16 year old. Has a big back seat
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

One of the plugs look like it has a lot more oil burn than the others, so that cylinder probably has bad oil rings or oil seal.

That cylinder could be the one that gets most of what the PCV puts out which will include some oil.

Originally Posted By: SoNic67
The white porcelain means that they where running hot. Maybe the wrong temperature range... maybe something else like running lean (that would increase the temperature).

I have been looking for information as to what heat range that year of 3.8 takes but have been unsuccessful finding anything. The ngk plugs I just bought have a heat range of 5 the description.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
They look decent to me and show no or little evidence of problems. Replace plugs and enjoy. No sense over-thinking this. Ed

That is my thinking, I was seeing what you guys thought is all.

For a traverse V6 engine where the rear plugs can be impossible to access, I like to use iridium ones that last over 100k, so you don't have to go back there again.

NGK Laser iridium or Denso Long-Life or TT

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
For a traverse V6 engine where the rear plugs can be impossible to access, I like to use iridium ones that last over 100k, so you don't have to go back there again.

NGK Laser iridium or Denso Long-Life or TT

This motor isnt bad at all. A little dielectric grease in the boots is a life saver!

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
If those plugs were in for the full 178,000 miles they did great. The color looks maybe a little lean and it looks like the platinum tip wore down, not surprised though. You got your money's worth out of them
grin.gif

Whimsey

+1 I would consider upgrading to iridium delcos (I did this on an old lumina with a 3.1 and I noticed a nice difference in acceleration etc.) but at 178k and looking like that you did A-OK! Regarding being hard to access do the 3.8s have the ability to "remove" the top engine bolt and pull it forward? That is what I did for my old 3.1 and it made it fairly easy to access. Granted you are sitting on the engine it wasn't all too difficult when I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back