best engine, auto trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi im wondering what are some of the best engineered/reliable engines and auto transmissions available in new and late model used sedans, suv and trucks. i enjoy reading threads of individual vehicles and think that my next vehicle purchase should focus on an inside out evaluation, i.e. not start with how it feels and looks. so, having well informed bitgoers' favorite, quick and dirty list of the great engines and trannies would be helpful.

i think that i stumbled into two decent non turbo gasoline engines with my cars: vw 5cyl 2.5 and toyota 4cyl 1.5.

thanks from a non-engineer!

Most reliable ones in my experience are Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans. Go to Africa, see which cars are still alive and you'll see a lot of Toyotas and Nissans.

If by best you mean quickest, maybe any BMW engine

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Most reliable ones in my experience are Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans. Go to Africa, see which cars are still alive and you'll see a lot of Toyotas and Nissans.

If by best you mean quickest, maybe any BMW engine

Subscribed this should be good if it doesn't get locked. Honda, Nissan and best automatic transmissions, that's a stretch imo. I wouldn't even consider a Nissan for the best or most reliable engine either. Honda and Toyota seem to have a big fan base in the best engine department, but I won't comment about that.

My vote goes to the Toyota 2UZ-FE 4.7 V8 with the 5-speed auto trans.

I have one in my 4Runner and we use 2 of these engines in a hobby mine operation. One runs a water pump and goes 10-12 hours at 3,600 rpm at wide open throttle. The other runs a ball mill for several hours at a time. This is the kind of heavy use that a wheeled vehicle would never see and they are both doing well. The mods? 12-quart oil pan, modified cooling system, oil/water oil cooler, toilet paper bypass oil filter (3-stacker), crankcase catch can with filter/separator and a big paper air filter with spin prefilter. That's it. If you've followed any previous posts you know what kind of oil we use.

These Toyota engines replace commercial engines that would have cost a fortune to replace. We got them from a junk yard and use all the electronics including the cruise control and the automatic transmission that includes a fluid/water cooler, a filter, and a much larger pan. The cooler, filter and pan add about 2 gallons to the fluid capacity. We use D-4 fluid.

The VW/Audi 2.8 and 3.0 V6 (N/A) and the VW/Audi 4.2 V8 are both reliable and paired to good transmissions.

Same story for the BMW N52 and M54 engines.

So I assume the Vortec 350, Buick 3800, Jeep/AMC inline engines, etc. are out?
laugh.gif

Last edited:
1983 Nissan Maxima 2.4L straight six
GM 4.3 v-6
Toyota 2.5L 4 cyl.Rav4
Toyota 4Runner (all engines are good )4.0L
Nissan v-8 Titan
Nissan 4.0L NV2500
Ive owned them all, except for the Titan-but a customer had 400K + miles on his with no major repairs.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Ford 4.9/C6. Immortal. Indestructible.

That would be my engine choice. For the transmissions the C6 along with the TH400 and Torqueflite 727 transmission. I'm liking the NAG1 a lot too.

He's talking about vehicles with an engine & automatic transmission in something you can buy brand new or late model used today, not a dinosaur from 1977.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
He's talking about vehicles with an engine & automatic transmission in something you can buy brand new or late model used today, not a dinosaur from 1977.

Yeah but we are happy in the 70's.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Ford 4.9/C6. Immortal. Indestructible.

That would be my engine choice. For the transmissions the C6 along with the TH400 and Torqueflite 727 transmission. I'm liking the NAG1 a lot too.

Me three
smile.gif
Toploader anyone
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Yeah but we are happy in the 70's.

+1

I'd say the B230f with an AW70/AW71 transmission.

Some of those dinosaurs go back a lot further than 1977.
wink.gif

My 2012 Honda Accord with the 3.5 V6 and automatic tranny has been far and away the best vehicle I have ever owned. That is saying a lot as I have had over 25 vehicles in my life. My 1997 GMC Sierra with the 350 V8 and auto tranny has also been flawless in 20 years now!

Chrysler 3.3 engine
Transmission anything but honda
smile.gif

Sorry this is an outdated engine. But the mpg and power are still hard to beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Some of those dinosaurs go back a lot further than 1977.
wink.gif

Really? I could go on for hours on what make & model had what engine in what odd or popular car from any Plymouth, Hudson, Pontiac................................... .

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
So I assume the Vortec 350, Buick 3800, Jeep/AMC inline engines, etc. are out?
laugh.gif

I dunno why? They are pretty darned reliable
smile.gif

But, the OP has not suggested what type of vehicle he's wanting? Sedan, SUV, Crossover, hot hatch, etc ...

On a WAG, I'd say the Ford Fusion Hybrid ought to be right up there for reliability
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back