2017 Ford Escape- how to check OLM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 17 Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine, and the SYNC3 option. I have been all over the owners manual, online resources etc., and I cannot find out how to check the OLM for either percent left or miles on the OLM. I did figure out how to reset it though. I called my dealership and they were stumped as well, but hopefully somebody will call back. I have been over every option in the car's menu 50 times, and I still cannot find it. I found a blurb that says "check page 91 or 93 of owners manual"- but its not there !!

Anybody know how to get the current status of the OLM on the Escape with 2.0 turbo ?

I don't know about the escape specifically, but on their trucks, if you toggle thru the "information" option, oil life comes up listing a percentage. Maybe the escape is the same.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I don't know about the escape specifically, but on their trucks, if you toggle thru the "information" option, oil life comes up listing a percentage. Maybe the escape is the same.

Not in this case- its quite frustrating as it's not in the manual. There is a 2nd rev of the manual online, and its not there either.

I'm not sure if this will help in your case or not. You might want to check it out.

FordPass™ and SYNC® 3 AppLink®

I think the Oil Life Vehicle Health Alert might only show that's it's nearly time to change your oil or it's time to change your oil - just like the alert on your dash.

I have a feeling the OLM percentage might be contained in Additionally, you will also be able to schedule a Vehicle Health Report to be e-mailed at your preferred cadence, or you can choose to view one on demand.

Good luck
cheers3.gif

I feel your pain. My Ford trucks were easy as could be.
I'm starting to think my 16 CMax does not have one. No info in the owners manual and
nothing in the toggle check etc. Never had a warning and the system check reveals nothing.

I’m betting it is like my T150 and you have to run a Vehicle health report to get it. I’m also betting that its pretty much a simple mileage counter.

It sounds like Ford is making it harder for the everyday person to track the oci using the meter. One more way to coax people into visiting the dealer. I would just go by mileage instead.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm starting to think my 16 CMax does not have one. No info in the owners manual and
nothing in the toggle check etc. Never had a warning and the system check reveals nothing.

My CMax only shows it when I use the FORScan phone app bluetoothed to my BAFX Products OBDII Diagnostic Interface (plugs into OBDII port, ELM327).
Not exactly 'easy', but may be the only way to see IOLM % remaining.

Its worth getting the FORScan app (Ford specific OBDII cool displays) and bluetooth ELM327 device for many other reasons, and IOLM % just happens to be there.
Should work great on a Ford Escape too.

The only way I have found on my 2014 Escape is to sign up with my SYNC.
Then do a vehicle health report.
Just make sure the engine is running when you do that.
Don't ask me how I know what the report says if the engine is not running.
33.gif

Do you have an SE like I do?- I think the higher end models had a basic one like the trucks. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

My CMax only shows it when I use the FORScan phone app bluetoothed to my BAFX Products OBDII Diagnostic Interface (plugs into OBDII port, ELM327).
Not exactly 'easy', but may be the only way to see IOLM % remaining.

Its worth getting the FORScan app (Ford specific OBDII cool displays) and bluetooth ELM327 device for many other reasons, and IOLM % just happens to be there.
Should work great on a Ford Escape too.

At the Escape owners forum they have threads that say this:

"That is the way it works for my wife's 2013 Escape. When you run the vehicle health report, you will be able to get the oil life. Unfortunately, my 2016 Escape Titanium does not have that feature or any other way to retrieve or display outside of retrieving a PID from a reader. There are many threads on this elsewhere in the forum."

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/55106-oil-change-frequency-8.html

It seems that Ford decided to "dumb down" the system.

Do you have an SE like I do?- I think the higher end models had a basic one like the trucks. Thanks!
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
FORScan phone app bluetoothed to my BAFX Products OBDII Diagnostic Interface (plugs into OBDII port, ELM327

'15 CMax SE. Whats great for any Ford owner is you can mount (clip) your smartphone on the nearest air vent vanes with the FORScan running gauges showing about ten different OBDII states streaming. You choose what to display, like "load", "cylinder head temperature", many others, around 100 available. Seriously useful.

Truth is it doesn't matter what percent oil is remaining. Fords will tell you 500 miles ahead of time, and then again at 0 miles ahead, so there is some warning.
Some may say "I want to pull the trigger at 20% and change oil." The IOLM algorithms are so good, why not just us a dexos1 full-synthetic, which is better than the minimum spec, and then change the oil when you get the 500-mile warning? Its conservative since you are using better oil.

It should be on the left info screen in the instrument cluster. You use the left side d-pad on the steering wheel to cycle to Information and it will be in there.

I actually don't like OLM's
On my F350 it would go so fast that I'd have 900 miles on the truck and it would be at 20%- Because it sat.
So I don't like to be nagged- as you said just do your own thing, it ain't hard
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It should be on the left info screen in the instrument cluster. You use the left side d-pad on the steering wheel to cycle to Information and it will be in there.

Exactly! We have these at work and they are very easy to navigate (oil life)

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It sounds like Ford is making it harder for the everyday person to track the oci using the meter. One more way to coax people into visiting the dealer. I would just go by mileage instead.

Or go old school and get a couple UOAs to nail down your OCI.

Originally Posted By: car51

Yes, you would think it would be easy to find- its not: its just not there. I ran into a friend who is a Ford mechanic and asked him about it: he said "2017 Escape with Sync3 ? Oh man, those are hard to find- they changed it in 2017....hold on, I got to think about it ". The problem was we were at our boats anchored out on the water, and 18 cans into a case of beer. By the time we got back to the marina nobody remembered the question
smile.gif

I did just sign up for the Ford Pass app, and the monthly reminder (thanks, good tip), but I fail to see why I cannot pull that up via the instrument panel.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Or go old school and get a couple UOAs to nail down your OCI.

I just did a sample today to send off to Blackstone. About 5500 miles on PUP 5w30.

Originally Posted By: car51

I went out and tried that. I scrolled up and down on the screen. Trip 1, no oil life. I am a Eco Champion though! LOL.
Trip 2. Same thing.
The info button, nada.
Settings. Not there.

Googled the thought and right on top appeared Ford's website for this - had a menu to toggle your model & year ...

I might mess with it later when it's 95 outside ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back