Ford 6.7 powerstroke severe duty oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still feeling out the new 6.7 powerstroke, and about to do my first long heavy towing. Manual mandates 5-40 oil for severe service...in this case towing over 1000 miles on the change cycle. I expect the IOLM to tell me to change oil at somewhere around 5000 miles as it will factor in towing etc.

Is this engine that hard on oil? Is the mandate to use 5-40 really a mandate to use synthetic, perhaps because of high engine temps? It seems like the low temp benefits of a 5-40 oil would not be an issue here, so to me, it seems like a mandate to use synthetic on a low mileage drain and fill schedule.

I don't have an issue doing it but would like to understand the requirement and the reasoning behind it.

Thanks!

The IOLM will surprise you, depending on your rear-end you may see 10,000 mi. before the IOLM message to "change oil now" pops up. I have the 3.31 rear and its not uncommon to go 10,000 mi.

I can't answer the 5w-40 recommendation, with no cold weather there is nothing wrong with 15w-40. I use nothing but 10w-30 and every UOA has come back stellar.

Currently running 15w40 VPB here in the midwest.
I see no reason for 5w40 unless your temperature mandates it.
I will be switching to 10w30 next spring, partially based on roadrunners continued good success, and whether by design, or the young oil jockey reading the cap, the majority of local trucks serviced at the dealer getting 10w30 for all use, and they haven't stopped yet!

Last edited:
I ran Rotella T6 in my older Dodge Ram with Cummins and now run it in my Ford F250 with Powerstroke. But for now running the CJ-4 flavor.

Going to DELO 400 5W40 CJ-4 because I can find it.

I feel 5W40 is a good oil regardless of severe service.

Yeah, it's the 40 part that counts
smile.gif

How heavy are you towing? My 6.7 oil temp gets to 225-235 degrees towing 14K in the summer, using motorcraft 5w40 for example.

Think it's the 40 that matters most. However, I've always wondered whether the 5 was important for extended idling periods when the engine is running at less than operating temperature (I do alot of overnight idling on some long towing trips). Note that extended idling is considered severe service by Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: claluja
How heavy are you towing? My 6.7 oil temp gets to 225-235 degrees towing 14K in the summer, using motorcraft 5w40 for example.

Think it's the 40 that matters most. However, I've always wondered whether the 5 was important for extended idling periods when the engine is running at less than operating temperature (I do alot of overnight idling on some long towing trips). Note that extended idling is considered severe service by Ford.

Towing about the same as you...maybe 14,500. I have read that the 230's is pretty normal for entine temps. And I know that I am in a severe duty bracket, but I can come up with no reason why Ford mandates the use of 5-40 for towing...at least on my 2017. Just curious...but I like to know the reasons for these odd requirements.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
The IOLM will surprise you, depending on your rear-end you may see 10,000 mi. before the IOLM message to "change oil now" pops up. I have the 3.31 rear and its not uncommon to go 10,000 mi.

I can't answer the 5w-40 recommendation, with no cold weather there is nothing wrong with 15w-40. I use nothing but 10w-30 and every UOA has come back stellar.

Is that 10,000 towing mileage? I hope so...that's about what my Duramax wanted me to change at.

Originally Posted By: buzzy3
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

Is that 10,000 towing mileage? I hope so...that's about what my Duramax wanted me to change at.

I don't tow every day, but the truck is loaded daily. Your rear end is the determining factor, according to the owners manual. The lower rpm's the longer the IOLM will go.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Had some stuff happen recently, and ran up some miles.
Changed my 6.7 yesterday from VPB 15w40 to Delo Severe Duty 15w30 and a Donaldson P502503.
I'm not worried in the least about this oil.

That oil should be great for you and anyone else with a Powerstroke (or any other diesel pickup). It's not for extended intervals, but the average diesel pickup owner is quite conservative, anyway.

I'm curious how old the oil you bought is? I rarely see the 15W30 but when I do, the bottles are covered in dust. I recently saw a fellow owner/op getting an oil change and putting it in his C15 Cat, so it's still available. It's been on the market for a few years now but don't hear much about the stuff.

thumbsup2.gif
Ok thanks. I thought it was right around three years ago, now. At the introduction, truck stops had posters on the walls promoting the 15W30. They said that with an oil change, Chevron would provide 10 free oil analyses. That only lasted for a few months and I never did try it in my trucks.

Still a great choice if you have it or can get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back