New Bitdefender Free Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Heads up for anyone in this same situation.

I've been running Bitdefender Free for a couple of years. Got a message from Bitdefender that there was a new improved version available (version 1.0.8.29), so I did the upgrade process.

I'm also running Malwarebyes Premium 3.0 (the full blow, real time version), and Bitdefender had to uninstall my Malwarebyes in order to upgrade itself. I didn't catch it right away thinking it was uninstalling the old Bidefender, so I tried to cancel the uninstall but it wouldn't allow me to so I forced a Windows shutdown. Needless to say, my Malwarebytes was hosed. So I finished installing the new Bitdefender and had to reinstall and re-activate the Malwarebyes Premium 3.0 with my License Key.

Wasn't too bad betting my Malwarebytes back on the computer. I'm assuming Malwarebytes and this new Bitdefender version are still compatible (?). Seem to be so far.

Does that sound normal for Bitdefender wanting to uninstall Malwarebytes to install the new version of Bitdefender, or is Bitdefender "pulling a Microsoft" and just trying to remove the competition so they are the only anti-virus on your computer?

A message? An email or via the app?

You didn't click on some random email link, right?

I'm not saying it's 100% shady, but I've never experienced an av/am/etc uninstalling another. Sounds fishy.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
A message? An email or via the app?

You didn't click on some random email link, right?

I'm not saying it's 100% shady, but I've never experienced an av/am/etc uninstalling another. Sounds fishy.

Through the Bitdefender application software running on my computer. Their on-line upgrade installation instructions says to remove all other anti-virus software for "compatibility" reasons. I think they are just being overly cautious.

Like I said above, I've reloaded Malwarebytes Premium 3.0 and everything seems to be working together so far.

The messed up situation with upgrading to the new version (they call it "Bitdefender Free 2016" *) is that it forced me to uninstall Malwarbytes. Unless I missed it, there was no option to skip the uninstall of Malwarebytes and continue with the Bitdefender upgrade.

I sent a message to Bitdefender to see what they say about it.

It's actually been out since late 2016, but I just got notice about it today through the application.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Anti-virus/malware is now more a marketing term; they're both protecting you from the same thing. Stick with just the one to avoid potential conflicts. If you feel you must have both, if possible turn off real time protection in one of them - in your case Bitdefender - and scan manually when the need arises. If you still wish to keep both running it may be wise to set up exclusions.

Windows built in protection is good enough for me; haven't been hit in years. It's more about safe online practices.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy

Anti-virus/malware is now more a marketing term; they're both protecting you from the same thing. Stick with just the one to avoid potential conflicts. If you feel you must have both, if possible turn off real time protection in one of them - in your case Bitdefender - and scan manually when the need arises. If you still wish to keep both running it may be wise to set up exclusions.

Windows built in protection is good enough for me; haven't been hit in years. It's more about safe online practices.

Malwarebytes isn't really a full blown anti-virus program. It's focus is malware which is different than viruses.

Many people run both realtime anti-malware and anti-virus programs at the same time. I ran Malwarebytes Premium and the old version of Bitdefender Free for over 2 years with no issues.

Some times it happens. At one time, Norton would uninstall Malwarebytes even if it was only being used as an on demand scanner. Norton fixed that pronto. With Bitdefender free, you could complain, but don't expect the squeaky wheel to get oiled any time soon simply because it is the free version. Bitdefender can fix the installer routine if they want.

I'm currently on Bitdefender Free 1.0.21.1109. I've been using it for years. I've also had Malwarebytes Free installed for years. Bitdefender never asked me to remove Malwarebytes. However, the Malwarebytes version I'm using is not real-time. I only run it when I want to. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
With Bitdefender free, you could complain, but don't expect the squeaky wheel to get oiled any time soon simply because it is the free version. Bitdefender can fix the installer routine if they want.

Yep. When I reported that Bitdefender free is preventing one of my programs from connecting to a another PC on my LAN, they basically told me to upgrade to the paid version.
smile.gif

Use one anti-virus app. Not two, not five. One.

For most users on Windows platforms, the Microsoft Defender is probably all they need. Unlike others, who have to guess what the internals of the system actually do, Microsoft knows it's own OS, and has advantages the others lack.

If you don't trust Microsoft, you probably shouldn't trust the NSA/CIA or the Russian host of Security Services either, as they both are known to have backdoors introduced into AV software that allows their own "malware" to install. In that case, ignore my advice about installing just one AV solution, and install two ... one based in the US (kills Russian malware) and one based in the EU or Russia (kills US malware). So, for the ultra-paranoid, or the non-US reader of this site, that's another option. It is the only reason to ignore my advice on installing just one AntiVirus solution.

All the AV products access the same malware databases, so one is as good as the other as far as protection goes. The issue is how bloated and feature-rich each one is ... you want one that is lean, uses the fewest resources (MS Defender wins there) and free of bloat and incessant traps to upgrade to a paid version.

I've used various programs over the years, usually stopping one and installing another due to bloat, which seems to affect every corporate owned AV company's products over time, as the Bean Counters insist on some kind of consumer revenue model aside from Corporate licensing.

Currently using Avast! or Defender on WindowsOS (depending on the version of Windows; I have virtual machines with every Windows OS from XP Pro to Windows10) also Avast! on MacOS user, and ClamAV on MacOS Server, as it's installed by default. All the MacOS installations also have LittleSnitch installed, which prevents apps from contacting outside servers. I configure firewalls on Windows OS, Linux and UNIX (FreeBSD) installs to do a similar job, but it's work; LittleSnitch is super easy and I use OSX to access the web 99% of the time.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Malwarebytes isn't really a full blown anti-virus program. It's focus is malware which is different than viruses. Many people run both realtime anti-malware and anti-virus programs at the same time. I ran Malwarebytes Premium and the old version of Bitdefender Free for over 2 years with no issues.
I run both Malwarebytes Pro and either Kaspersky, Avira, or ESET on my three laptops. In my experience, a layered approach is the best defense and nearly all AV programs work in a reactive mode. At any given time, even the best of the best will allow something to slip through and Malwarebytes will give extra protection. Zee - I am sending you a PM.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ndfergy

Malwarebytes isn't really a full blown anti-virus program. It's focus is malware which is different than viruses.

Many people run both realtime anti-malware and anti-virus programs at the same time. I ran Malwarebytes Premium and the old version of Bitdefender Free for over 2 years with no issues.

Viruses are not the main threat nowadays but the term is a carryover from the time when they were. Hence, anti-virus software naming is used for consumer familiarity. Viruses, trojans, worms, adware, spyware, ransomware, keyloggers et al all fall under the banner of malware.

Most anti-virus/malware vendors share their signatures/definitions with an aggregator called VirusTotal. This database is continually updated and is used by the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back