Question about limited slip differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guy's, I am new here and would like change the rear end fluid in my 2016 SS Camaro it calls for GM #8886264 I can't seem to find any other lube that cross reference's the GM fluid. What is so special about that fluid other than it has the limited slip additive?

My WAG would be, nothing. 75W/90 with a LS additive is probably one of the most common gear lubes on the market - literally dozens of different brands with that basic spec.

Make sure any lube you use is specified for LSD use; that is critical. Aside from that, you have many choices, but the GM lube is excellent. For a car like the late model Camaro SS, it's what I would use. For other, less critical applications (say, a GM truck) I would use one of the aftermarket lubes.

Lots of people seem to have chattering problems with aftermarket fluids that only go away with the gm ls fluid. Not sure why.

I'm fairly certain it's just a 75w90 GL5 with limited slip additive -- the Red Line and Motul sites both seem to agree. My Corvette (same engine) specs the same fluid. Tons of choices out there.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Lots of people seem to have chattering problems with aftermarket fluids that only go away with the gm ls fluid. Not sure why.

The GM fluid might have a higher dose of LS additive.

My mantra has always been to start with a smaller dose and "add to taste". I can never hear the chattering.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
For a car like the late model Camaro SS, it's what I would use.

I agree. It's very easy to source (can even get it with free one-day shipping from Amazon) and not terribly expensive, so I'd simply stick with the recommended OEM fluid.

Why are you changing on a 2016 car?

Been around these 40+ years. Always use the GM additive.

If all OK, leave it alone.

Last edited:
What kind of differential do those use? Is it a clutch type or a Torsen? My Mustang uses a Torsen T-2 and any kind of LSD additive is a no-no.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Why are you changing on a 2016 car?

Been around these 40+ years. Always use the GM additive.

If all OK, leave it alone.

GM recommends changing it after the first track day/competitive driving event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back