Need a new riding lawn mower. Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Went and looked at a Husqvarna YT42DXLS.
Fabricated steal deck, Kawasaki 21.5 HP and locking rear diff. I like those things. 2645.95. Compared to the other 42 inch mowers I saw with 2 cylinders for 1999 to 2800. I think this maybe the one.
3 year bumper to bumper warranty
5 year frame
limited lifetime on the deck.

Looking good there. I've not looked into that locking rear differential feature, but is sounds useful for hilly terrain. Good luck with your new "lawn ride."

I just went through the process of asking for recommendations for a similar sized mower, doing all the soul searching and research.

Here is what I came to. If you want a seriously well made, quality unit, go used. I would recommend a lightly used John Deere in the LX, GT, GX or 300 series tractor. Simplicity, Kubota, Ariens and Gravely are great too but not as common and harder to get parts for. If you really want to buy new and need just a basic mower, Craftsman or John Deere is a good choice just know that the new, basic lawn mowers are no where near the quality of something used from 8-10 years ago.

Between Facebook market place, craigslist, offer up and letgo; my area has several LX, GT, 300 and even a 400 series tractor in good condition for less than $3,000 and many of them less than $1,000. All most of them need are tire tubes and tune ups, maybe a belt or hose here or there.

I scored a 2005 John Deere LX 280 all wheel steel with 250 hrs, a mulching kit and many new parts for $1,700. All I did was install new tires and a full tune up, along with a good scrubbing. I now have a mint condition, serious quality machine that should easily mow all of my property with no major repairs or maintenance till the 1,000 hour mark. I am very pleased and the machine is much better quality than anything sold in a store today.

My 1974 John Deere 110 still does an excellent job. I don't think it will ever die. Paid $600 for it in 1995. You guys buying these box store riders make me laugh.

Last edited:
Well I pulled the ole girl out today.
I dropped the mower deck and found a some lose bolts and broken tensioner pulley.

So guess what? Fixed good as new. I am going to keep running it!

Thanks for all your input!

I dropped the mower deck and found a some lose bolts and broken tensioner pulley.

Nothing wrong with that. That machine is in amazing cosmetic shape for the age. Even though you plan on keeping it, I would still keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a lightly used machine in your area. You could upgrade your mower considerably and then turn around and sell your old mower for $300 easily. I say that because your Craftsman looks a bit small for 2 acres. I went from a 38" Craftsman LT2000 (similar to yours), to a JD LX280 with all wheel steer and a 48" deck for my 3/4 acre lawn. The new machine is vastly more comfortable, gives a better cut and saved a solid 20 minutes off my mow time..... Just something to consider.

Originally Posted By: AMC

Nothing wrong with that. That machine is in amazing cosmetic shape for the age. Even though you plan on keeping it, I would still keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a lightly used machine in your area. You could upgrade your mower considerably and then turn around and sell your old mower for $300 easily. I say that because your Craftsman looks a bit small for 2 acres. I went from a 38" Craftsman LT2000 (similar to yours), to a JD LX280 with all wheel steer and a 48" deck for my 3/4 acre lawn. The new machine is vastly more comfortable, gives a better cut and saved a solid 20 minutes off my mow time..... Just something to consider.

First....congratulations on fixing it......If you are going to do that I would suggest putting in a wider gate first......then buy something 52in or bigger. The 52in and up seem to get upgraded parts and mower powerful engine....and it will make a big difference in your mow time.

Last edited:
When my mower became too expensive to keep repairing, I went shopping for a new mower and ended up with nothing. I no longer cut my lawn.

I pay $55/cut for someone else to do it for me now. Cut, whip, and cleanup. Every two weeks. Lawn has never looked better. Come home from work to find a manicured lawn and free time? Priceless.

Do the math and figure out what your $2500 max budget gets you. No gas. No maintenance. What's your time worth? Now I spend weekends doing fun stuff instead of cutting grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back