KTM LC4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a '16 KTM 690 Enduro R, and was wondering if anyone has any oil recommendations other than 10w60? I know the factory recommended oil is Motorex 10w60. I've read 540rat's blog, I know his data is controversial, but it got me thinking, especially after reading about BMW rod bearing failures with 10w60 (I know, controversial). Has anyone dared try 10w40? I'm currently running Amsoil 10w60 at 2600 miles. I'm stock except a Wings can, and a 190 deg. thermostat switch. FWIW, this is the smoothest shifting bike I've ever owned, except for the 5-6 false neutral..
Thanks.

I'd be inclined to use a 20w50, and surely you won't see me in weather's requiring 10w on two wheels.

Contact user albertdi . He's got a lot of data from his KTM (link). It appears that Amsoil SAE60 had similar results to the other oils he tried, but at twice the mileage. Your KTM is prone to shear, and that's what I'd go with. The data supports that.

+1

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I'd be inclined to use a 20w50, and surely you won't see me in weather's requiring 10w on two wheels.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Contact user albertdi . He's got a lot of data from his KTM (link). It appears that Amsoil SAE60 had similar results to the other oils he tried, but at twice the mileage. Your KTM is prone to shear, and that's what I'd go with. The data supports that.

Thanks!
It appears that the oil I'm using performs well also; Amsoil 60w isn't a good option for me because I'm dumb enough to ride in near freezing temps, and the bike's in an unheated garage.

FWIW, the frame on my 1995 Duke LC4 recommends 15w-40.

Your engine (likely the transmission portion) does shear the heck out of oil, though. Not sure if our older, smaller engines are any different.

I would use Mobil 1 15w50.....all day long in that bike.

Smokin awesome oil......

Noticed Walmart had a 5 quart bottle for $22.47 today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back