Copper spark plug question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found the energy of the ignition system plays a bigger role than mileage. I have had some go 50,000 miles.

An MSD ignition system will wear them out faster... but because of the high amperage (which causes the wear in the first place) they'll keep firing well long after the gap has exceeded .080"

true - I've run copper plugs up to 45k with no problems; but generally the mfr specs 30k. I'm thinking that with the MSD the issue is not only higher voltage but also the fact that the MSD ignition fires multiple times per event; at least below 3000 rpm or something like that.

Last edited:
Why run them a long time?

They are $5/each.

Vehicles run better with new plugs.

Good choice running NGK.

I may not have run the NGK plugs (original and 1st replacement set) much beyond the recommended 30K in my Mazda, but later I ran equivalent Champion copper ones well over 100K with no problems, meaning no detectable improvement in power or fuel economy when I finally replaced them. I did clean and regap them a couple of times. I suspect the NGKs could've done the same, if I'd given them a chance.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
They are $5/each.

5 dollars each for copper plugs?
where are you getting ripped off at?

Why copper? Platinum or iridium are usually best.

What application and what is OEM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
They are $5/each.

laugh.gif

Exactly !

Originally Posted By: Rand
They are $5/each.

laugh.gif

Exactly !

Still cheaper then ignition coil...wich can fail prematurely if it has to cope with worn out plugs for too long...

Chrysler sold millions of new gen 5.7 Hemis with cheap conventional plugs and a 30k replacement schedule.

Yet the 6.1 liter SRT engine shipped with top of the line NGK Iridiums despite having the exact same ignition setup. recommended interval? 105k miles. Newer model 5.7s like our 14 RAM have iridiums now.

Just changed the plugs out in a service van here, GM 6.0 engine. Almost no wear despite 113k miles and over 2500 hours of stationary operations.

We have run them over 200k miles before with only one coil replaced ever, so I guess the coils are not guaranteed to fail...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

laugh.gif

Exactly !

Still cheaper then ignition coil...wich can fail prematurely if it has to cope with worn out plugs for too long...

I agree 100%.

I had urged the OP to change them out frequently since they are dirt cheap even at $5/each.
I paid $1.97/each for my NGK Copper plugs 2 weeks ago.
I change them out 1-year/10K-15K miles.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Why copper? Platinum or iridium are usually best.

What application and what is OEM?

Copper is best, platinum and iridium last longer.

As for interval, 30,000 miles is the standard, but if they are easy to get to, I pull them at 15,000 and check, and maybe replace.
If using a performance ignition or just a high horsepower vehicle, I would check/replace every 15,000.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
What is a copper spark plug? Do you mean copper core? Almost all plugs have a copper core to aid in heat removal.
yeah I was going to say same thing. Its Nickel not copper - all plugs are copper core.

Having run V power USA Denso Junk - I would try something else. Champs are better than V -power. V Power run too hot in any app I tried them in and wore fast. Second bet would be STD nickel Bosch plugs. Then Denso Hot U. NGK is bottom of list for Nickel plugs. Their IR seem good for and extended tip plug - which I don't like in performance applications.

BTW, Subaru HATE NGK.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

laugh.gif

Exactly !

I change them out 1-year/10K-15K miles.

Wow! I think there is a pill for that
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back