How big an oil stash is too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last 2 days I have acquired 29 jugs of Chevron Havoline Pro DS full synthetic at $7.17 per 5 quart jug. In 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30

Am I going crazy or should I look for more? There's at least another 4 or 5 O'Reilly's stores in town...

My principal worry at this point is that I will not be able to use it all before SP/GF-6 comes out. I'm sure eventually I will acquire a car that requires the new stuff.

I guess it's an incentive to keep my old cars longer
wink.gif

Last edited:
Subjective I don't really stash anything but if I come upon a good sale and I'll need it soon (within a week or two) I'll buy it unless it's at some crazy insane discount.

Can't hurt if you do a lot of parts work for folks tho.

Only thing I hoard is fishing lures.

Last edited:
The standard answer from the oil companies is that the shelf life is about 5 years as the API grade tends to change on average every 5 years. So if you have more than 5 years worth of oil, I'd stop. It's always possible to just buy a used car that still calls for the grade of oil you have now.

But $7.17 is a pretty good price as that beats Autozone $2/quart clearance price although Havoline is a lesser known brand name but the oil is probably fine.

Leave a little room in case there are some free after rebate deals or even cheaper rebate deals. I suppose if you're loading up, you could also notify your friends and see if any of them need any.

29?? That is too much for me. I could see 5-10 maybe 12. Right now I have 2 five qt containers and 2 qts of Super S, one Havoline Pro DS qt, one Havoline conventional oil at, one Coastal 30 grade qt container which is for the lady's Camry.

That being said, I don't blame you for getting that Havoline Pro DS at such a low price. Just make sure to "share" it with others who may need a free oil change or a really cheap one. Pay it forward.

This is like asking your drinking buddy if you drink too much?

Seriously.

In the last 2 days you have just purchased 36 gallons of oil and you are wanting to go purchase the remaining stock at an O-Reillys.

There is a very small chance this is a rational behavior.

How many quarts of oild do you expect to use annually?

You could always put that stuff on Lubeslist and sell it at a loss when the credit card bills get too big!

ArcticDriver, this kind of stuff happens with people all the time. But yes, there is something in the DSM for it
lol.gif

It depends, for a guy who drives one car 3K miles a year it is a bit much. OTOH for some members here it could be the perfect size stash. I find it hard passing up good deals. The oil can always be sold, and if bought right for a profit.

Quote:
...should I look for more? There's at least another 4 or 5 O'Reilly's stores in town...
No, leave some for me for when it drops to $5.
wink.gif

I'm down to about 80 qts.
Most was free and I can't pass up free.
Oil will never go bad,the oil company says 5 yrs cause they want to sell more oil.

Depends upon what rate you go through oil at.
Several years back, I was doing more frequent drains on a family fleet that did more miles collectively, so I'd blow through 29 jugs in a couple of years.
I would do fairly short drains on that GDI Hyundai, probably no more than 5K.
Seven bucks a jug with no need for an MIR is dirt cheap for any synthetic oil and Havoline is reputed to be pretty decent stuff.

Well, I have 16 jugs of Havoline Pro DS (6 of the 5w-30 and 10 of the 10w-30) , 12 qts Amsoil 10w-40, 6 qts Amsoil 5w-30 diesel, and 34 of the old Japan Toyota oil filters (90915-20004).

I'm set for a while....

I will admit every time I see an Oreilly's, I still have the urge to stop and get more Havoline....

Originally Posted By: Brons2
In the last 2 days I have acquired 29 jugs of Chevron Havoline Pro DS full synthetic at $7.17 per 5 quart jug. In 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30

Am I going crazy or should I look for more? There's at least another 4 or 5 O'Reilly's stores in town...

My principal worry at this point is that I will not be able to use it all before SP/GF-6 comes out. I'm sure eventually I will acquire a car that requires the new stuff.

I guess it's an incentive to keep my old cars longer
wink.gif

API SP/GF-6 will not be required in vehicles till about a year after it comes out (2019?).
Many will be fine on SN oil for quite a while.
I know Hyundai is very liberal on their oil requirements.
My 2004 Elantra allowed SH oil, right about the time SM oil was coming out.
Your 2012 can use SL.

Only you can decide what is too much. I have just over 100 qts, which will be about 2.5-3 years worth of oil for me and the family changes I do. Total cost was ~$1.25/qt. I do not plan on getting more for at least 2 years unless it is literally free.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I'm down to about 80 qts.
Most was free and I can't pass up free.
Oil will never go bad,the oil company says 5 yrs cause they want to sell more oil.

The oil itself won't go bad but I thought the risk was additives falling out of solution.

If you have the funds to buy and the space to store it properly there is no such thing as too much.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

How big an oil stash is too big?

If your oil stash:

A) will last longer than you do

or

B) will outlast your current vehicles and will be inadequate for their replacements

Then it's too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back