echo srm-210 misfires and dies after 20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I retired this machine due to lack of power, but it turned out to just be a clogged exhaust port, so I decided for some dumb reason I was going to get it going again. It had been sitting, so I put a new carb on it a primer bulb a new fuel lines, then I put a new recoil on it because it broke. It hadn't been used in a couple years, but I got the carb tuned with no issues and thought I was good to go. I gave it a test on one yard thinking it was fixed, but then it started misfiring and didn't want to stay running unless you held the throttle down WOT. Im thinking it's the coil, but what are the chances it's just a bad spark plug? Why does it take 20 minutes for this to happen? Is it overheating?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem after a carb and fuel line change on my 210. Turns out I had the fuel supply and return lines backwards to the carb. Switched them and works like a charm now.

You may want to check the flywheel for a sheared keyway. I just picked up an Echo Gt225, and the flywheel key was sheared. And on this machine, the key is machined into the flywheel. So I had to replace the whole flywheel.

Be sure the small air vent in the gas cap is not blocked/clogged with dirt.
Happened to me on a lawn tractor. Loosened the gas cap and problem went away.
Cleaned gas cap vent and all was good.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Be sure the small air vent in the gas cap is not blocked/clogged with dirt.
Happened to me on a lawn tractor. Loosened the gas cap and problem went away.
Cleaned gas cap vent and all was good.

I replaced the fuel lines, so the vent would be clean. I suppose it's possible that I got them backwards, but i'm pretty sure the lines only go on one way. The yellow return line is bigger than the black fuel line.

I'd change the spark plug first. Then ensure you're using an 89 min. octane gas as Echo, Sthil, amongst others, are requiring in their 2-stroke engines. As Echo and Stihl both state, using reg. 87 octane gas can cause overheating and potential engine failure.

My vote would probably be crank seals. If you know you go good fuel getting in check your spark after it dies. If you have good spark you may be loosing compression after everything expands or the crank seals are leaking after they get hot and your not getting your mixture sucked in and pushed through.

Originally Posted By: Fastcompany
My vote would probably be crank seals. If you know you go good fuel getting in check your spark after it dies. If you have good spark you may be loosing compression after everything expands or the crank seals are leaking after they get hot and your not getting your mixture sucked in and pushed through.

I wonder if they went bad after sitting for a couple years, if that's even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back